Robert S.
Robert S., Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Expert in decorative arts especially ceramics, silver, paintings, and furniture.
63759197

This jardinière, measuring 10 1/2 " diameter and 9 1/2 '

Customer Question

This jardinière, measuring 10 1/2 " diameter and 9 1/2 ' tall. was my husband's grandmother. She immigrated from Slovenia during the Elis Island time. What can you tell me about it and it's value.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Robert S. replied 1 year ago.
Hi! This is Robert, thanks for requesting me, I would be happy to help with your jardinière.Could you very kindly attach a photo of it and one of the entire bottom and we'll go from there.Many thanks and wait to hear,Robert
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes, thought I did. will try again. it is saved as a document. did you get it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
stamp box is the next question I ask. not related to this one. accidently added it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'll get the bottom again.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
here it is
Expert:  Robert S. replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the photos, that's really helpful.I just need one more of the jardinière from the side (you sent two of the inside) and that's all I need.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
isn't it on this one?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
here it is I hope
Expert:  Robert S. replied 1 year ago.
So it is! Sorry, I didn't see that I could scroll down.
Expert:  Robert S. replied 1 year ago.
This is a very nice example of an early 20th century majolica jardinière in a high Art Nouveau style showing the classic whiplash curves and stylized embossed flowers that so typifies Art Nouveau.There's been a lot of discussion about the attribution and origin of this piece and the balance of opinion is that it's American, and probably made by the Florentine Pottery Chillicothe, OH, which was in operation for a very short period from 1901 - 1904. The pottery is well known for these particular sponged and dappled drip glazes. As for value, I see it has a small chip on the rim, but that won't detract too much, this would be a sought after piece. If you were to see it for sale in an antique store it would have a full retail value of $400.Expect to get in the range of 30% - 40% of this if you were to sell at auction or on line (eBay, etc)I do hope this helps!Robert PS. If there's anything more I can help you with on this please don't hesitate to ask.If not, could you very kindly rate my services (with the smiley faces or the "Accept" button or the stars) as this is how I get paid by JustAnswer at no extra cost to you. We can still continue to communicate here on this thread after you do. Many thanks. Robert.