rusufdavi
rusufdavi, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Antiques and collectibles
73504548

I have what I think to be an antique or very old secretary

Customer Question

I have what I think to be an antique or very old secretary that is a bit of mystery to me. The drawers look like the joints are cut by hand, small irregular triangles. The top has very large dovetail joints. The back is a totally different wood and boards. The drawers do not have any tracks. It is obvious it has been stained, but trying to figure out when it was built. There are no markings that I can find.
Category: Antiques
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello, re: my secretary question, I have added additional photos of the drawers, etc..
Expert:  rusufdavi replied 1 year ago.
Hello! Thanks for the request Could you inspect the secreatary to see if it has some kind of label or mark? Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello. I mentioned that I did inspect and did not find anything. I even cleaned underneath and nothing. Were you able to see my additional photos in email 2?
Expert:  rusufdavi replied 1 year ago.
OK!Thanks for the reply, Could yo take a zoomed picture of the drum handlers and the lock? This will help to date the furniture. Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes I can do that when I get home
Expert:  rusufdavi replied 1 year ago.
great!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello: Here are some photos of the handles and lock.
Expert:  rusufdavi replied 1 year ago.
Thanks! I can see from the pics that you have a mid 1900 secretary. The screws used in this secretary where not hand forged, so we can be sure that it's a 1900 secretary. The door handle is even modern, as well as the hinges, so I can date this secretary as being manufacturer in 1950-1970. Regarding the value of your item, I have just perform a market research of similar sold items as yours. I performed the research based upon the most recent finished auctions and private sells, so the value given is the real market value of your item. This is the only way to know the exact value of your unit.The value will be in the range of 650-900$. Please, use the stars to rate my answer or let me know if I can help you any further!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello
Is it possible the crews and metal work were added later? What do you think of the wood work. It looks very hand made to me.
Expert:  rusufdavi replied 1 year ago.
Yes, the screws used in the hinges are clearly modern, added much later than the furniture. However the big round black screw, which is made of iron, that one is original. It's hand carved, I also agree with you. That screw and the handlers could not be made before 1900, both pieces matches the same date. Please, use the stars to rate my answer or let me know if I can help you any further!