Robert S.
Robert S., Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Expert in decorative arts especially ceramics, silver, paintings, and furniture.
63759197

A SIR ANDREW ACUEcHEER Plate designed by Noke and signed

Customer Question

A SIR ANDREW ACUEcHEER Plate designed by Noke and signed 1906?
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Robert S. replied 1 year ago.
Hi! My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to help with your Royal Doulton Sir Andrew Aguecheek plate.Can you confirm it is this one?http://i.imgur.com/l7K3FQd.jpgAlso, what size is it?Many thanks and wait to hear,Robert
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is dinner plate size. 10 1/.2 inch
Expert:  Robert S. replied 1 year ago.
Your plate was part of a popular range of what's called "series ware" issued by Royal Doulton and called The Twelfth Night series. It was produced from 1904 - 1928 and you'll be able to see the date of your plate by looking for the date code on the back. It's a group of impressed numbers that gives the month and the year.
Sir Andrew Aguecheek is the principal comic character from the play.
The other one commonly found in this series is Sir Toby Belch. Most pieces in the series also carry the pattern number "D2495".
The series was designed by Doulton's art director, C.J. Noke, and that's a printed facsimile of his signature on the plate.
If you saw your plate for sale in an antique store, it would have a full retail value of $120.
This is also the replacement value and what you should insure it for.
Expect to get approximately 30% - 40% of this if you were to sell at auction or on-line.
I do hope this helps.
Best wishes,
Robert.
PS. If there's anything more I can help you with on this please don't hesitate to ask.
If not, could you very kindly rate my services (with the smiley faces or the "Accept" button or the stars) as this is how I get paid by JustAnswer at no extra cost to you. We can still continue to communicate here on this thread after you do. Many thanks. Robert.