Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques, Appraiser/ Researcher/ Entrepreneur
Experience:  30+ years in all aspects of the Antiques and Decorative Arts Industry
51883380

I see on Ebay a number of Navajo potter Jack Black's works.

Customer Question

I see on Ebay a number of Navajo potter Jack Black's works. Most range from $20 to $200, but some, which are listed as "number one" from the mold are more like prices of $5,000-$7,000. Do you know how Jack Black's pottery is labeled as number 1? The markings on the base of his pottery are normally a "c" in a circle and what appears to be an 8 with a straight line through it. I don't think either of these is a #1 from the mold indication, as these occur on so many of his pieces.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.
At your convenience, please send a link or ebay auction number to the piece you found on there for the higher price and listed as a 'number 1'.
Thank you,
Nora
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can't find an ebay auction number. I thought you only had that when you actually purchased the item. If you go to ebay, to jack black pottery in the search box, you will see a $4,000 item that says it is #1 from the mold. But when I contacted the seller, the mark she referred to as the #1 mark I don't think is. That mark is on the bottom of every piece I have ever purchased. The item in question is called Navajo Woman Holding Bird. I have a very similar sculpture with the woman's arm outstretched holding the bird and I paid about $150 for it in 1995.
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.
Hi There,
I have not found the lot on ebay that you are referencing.
I will opt-out and your question will open again to all the experts. If someone knows the answer they will post a response to you here. You do not need to re-list your question and this does not cost you extra.
I will not be able to respond back after opting-out.
I do hope you find the information that you seek.
Sincerely,
Nora