Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques, Appraiser/ Researcher/ Entrepreneur
Experience:  30+ years in all aspects of the Antiques and Decorative Arts Industry
51883380

I have a painting by J. Allan Carroll. On the back of it,

Customer Question

I have a painting by J. Allan Carroll. On the back of it, there is yet another painting. Is this normal "this day" in time, or might that lead me to believe this may be an original?
Category: Antiques
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The painting on the back is similar in background, except there are four ladies sitting on the ground to the left of center and three ladies seated on the ground to the right of center.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
WHY AM I NOT GETTING A RESPONSE ON THIS???????
Expert:  Tim in Antiques replied 1 year ago.
Good Afternoon, my name is ***** ***** I am a Fine Art Appraiser.Sorry for the delay. I have some information on your painting. the artist is: John Allan CARROLL, American (1892-1959).As a painter he is best known for his portraits, John Carroll was born en route through Kansas and grew up in San Francisco, where he studied art for three years at the Mark Hopkins Art Academy, transferring to the University of California at Berkeley for two years. He then studied art with Frank Duveneck in Cincinnati, Ohio.Carroll settled for a time in New York, where he designed stained glass for Tiffany Studios and was a member of the Woodstock art colony. He received critical acclaim for his work at the Pennsylvania Academy Of The Arts in Philadelphia, and became and instructor at the Art Students League, then went to Europe in 1927 on a Guggenheim Fellowship, followed by a number of years as head of the paintings department at the Detroit Society of Arts and Crafts. Returning to New York, he divided his time between his New York City studio and his farm in East Chatham, New York.I have found several auction records for him. Two of them are for paintings that very similar to yours in style and subject. The auctions however date from 2009. In that year they sold for $1,100.00 and $1,800.00. There are more recent auction records for his paintings. These help me determine the current demand and possible value of his work. The current estimated market value for your painting is $1,500.00 to $2,000.00. Cheers Tim
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your history of Mr. Carroll. However, I knew a lot of that already. My *real* question -- as I previously asked -- is could I possibly have an original painting and not a copy.