Doris - dfm925
Doris - dfm925, Pres, Owner Nashville Appraisals Corporation
Experience:  Antiques store owner 10+yrs.Best of Nashville Two Years. Collector 56+yrs.USPAP compliant. Member AOA.Founded part of antiques, silver & art collection at local museum.
19572128

Artist: Victor Prezio Title: "The Rio Kid" Size: 24 X

Customer Question

Artist: Victor Prezio
Title: "The Rio Kid"
Size: 24 X 30" Gouache on board
Painting used as the cover illustration for the western novel "Leadville Avengers" a Rio Kid Western by Tom Curry, published by Curtis Books in the late 1960's or early 1970's.
Painting along with framed cover of this paperback novel accompanies the painting.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Doris - dfm925 replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome! My name is Doris.
I have been an antiques collector, dealer and appraiser for over 56 years.
I will be pleased to help you.
When assessing an artist's work, appraisers must look at sales of works by the same artist. Art gallery sales prices are private.
We must then go to auction sales prices which are public. When using comparable work by the same artist, medium, subject matter and size are factors to be considered.
Victor Prezio, born in 1900, was best known as a book illustrator.
Some auction results for his gouache on board paintings:
22 x 28.5" - Heritage - 10.23.11 - Sold $837
22.75 x 28.75" - Heritage - 10.23.11 - Sold $837
23 x 16" - Heritage - 5.6.10 - Sold $598
Adjusting for size and adding a premium for accompany framed cover, your 24 x 30" painting has an estimated auction value range of $1000-1200 assuming excellent condition.
A retail art gallery would double or even triple the auction sales price; so, the retail value of your painting would be much higher.
A private seller to a dealer can expect 40-60% of retail value.
I hope I have helped you.
If I can help you with further questions about this answer, please let me know before you rate me.
All my answers are quoted in USA dollars.
I endeavor to give realistic, honest answers in a timely manner.
If you would like to work with me on future questions, I would be pleased to work with you.
All you have to do is put my name (Doris) at the beginning of your question.
Please take a little time to give me a POSITIVE RATING now so that I am compensated by JA for my time and effort. This is of no cost to you.
Please do not rate me down because of system difficulty, site charges or current appraisal values - all three are beyond my control.
Please let me know if you have difficulty with the site's rating system.
Kind regards.
Doris