rarewares
rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Antiques dealer for over 10 years specializing in porcelain, glass, art, furniture, coins, watches, pocket watches, and jewelry.
68269273

I have an old Oil Painting and can't make out the Artists Signature.

Customer Question

I have an old Oil Painting and can't make out the Artists Signature. Is there a way to find out?
Category: Antiques
Expert:  rarewares replied 1 year ago.
Hello,I would love to help. Please add a close up picture of the signature and then one picture of the back of the piece, noting any writing or labels that might be there , if any, and to show the type of backing or canvas. You can do this by using the paper clip icon or the ADD FILES button. These features work best on a desktop computer.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I hope this will help you. Thanks
Expert:  rarewares replied 1 year ago.
Still need one close up of the signature on the front. Thanks!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank you
Expert:  rarewares replied 1 year ago.
Hello,The back tells more of the story than the front. This is a painting that was made by a factory artist in Taiwan in the 1960-70's and was sent to the US via Eastern Shipping Corp of Taiwan. The staples in the frame, the item number, and the AncoBilt canvas are also a 'signature' of this type of factory art. The signature on the painting doesn't matter, the artists were not allowed to sign their own names and you will find similar paintings to this one with names like Thomas or William or an illegible scribble signed bottom right. These were sold to furniture stores and department stores as 'original art'. Technically it is original art, but does not hold any value like paintings made by professional, listed artists because these pieces were in a sense mass produced all with a similar look. This piece has a value of $25.00.
Expert:  rarewares replied 1 year ago.
Let's close this question by having you click the stars. If you'd like to have me assess anything else, start a new question and put 'forCustomer so that you could get me again.