Robert S.
Robert S., Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Expert in decorative arts especially ceramics, silver, paintings, and furniture.
63759197

Antique ink well i would like to know what its worth

Customer Question

antique ink well i would like to know what its worth
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Robert S. replied 1 year ago.
Hi! My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to help with your beautiful desk set.This antique ink stand, letter rack, letter opener and blotter are all solid brass and beautifully embellished with a classical renaissance revival pattern in raised relief that dates it to the late Victorian or Edwardian period, circa 1890 - 1920. The design also has a touch of Art Nouveau about it, notably the cherub mask on the letter opener and the handles of the inkstand, and which makes it particularly pleasing. Some of these sets are marked "Germany" and others initialed "BD Depose" for a Belgian manufacturer but other than that very little is known about where they originated and are usually simply referred to as "Continental". As for value, if you were to see this set for sale in an antique store it would have a total retail price tag of about $550. This is also the replacement value for insurance purposes.Expect to get in the range of 30% - 40% of this if you were to sell at a good antique auction house, or on line (eBay, etc).I do hope this helps!Please let me know if I can be of further assistance with this, I would be glad to.Best wishes,Robert
Expert:  Robert S. replied 1 year ago.
If there's anything more I can help you with on this please don't hesitate to ask. If not, could you very kindly rate my services (with the smiley faces or the "Accept' button) as this is how I get paid by JustAnswer at no extra cost to you. We can still continue to communicate here on this thread after you do. Many thanks. Robert