Glenda B.
Glenda B., Antiques Appraiser
Experience:  40+ yrs. Experience, 40+yrs.Dealer buying/selling antiques.14+ yrs. Antique Store Owner. Member of AOA, AADA. Advanced studies in Antiques at University of Arkansas at Little Rock.
53729464

I have a butter knife Meriden Brita Co 9 ----#26 J & G BEW.

Customer Question

i have a butter knife Meriden Brita Co 9 ----#26 J & G BEW. It appears to be sterling. Wondering if this has value. This was something that was in a box of many things from my grandparents, then my parents.
Thank you. ***** ***@******.***
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Glenda B. replied 1 year ago.
My name is Glenda,
I will be glad to help you today.
Can you send picture of this and the marks on the back?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please see attached. I hope you can see!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I hope you have received my pictures.
Expert:  Glenda B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello
The Knife is Silver Plate by the Meriden Britannia Company. In 1862 Meriden Britannia Company bought the hollowware division, tools and dies of Rogers Brothers Mfg Co (incorporating Rogers, Smith & Co).
The production of the '1847 Rogers Bros' line continued under the direction of ***** ***** and in 1865 the plating shop was transferred from New Haven to Meriden and merged with Meriden Britannia Co in 1866.
Meriden Britannia Company adopted in its flatware production the "sectional plate" under an 1868 patent obtained by Marshall L. Forbes. The process consisted in depositing an extra amount of silver on spoons and forks parts suffering the harder wear. Meriden Britannia Co wrote about its spoons and forks "... means they are plated three times heavier on the three points most exposed to wear ... adding correspondingly to their durability.
.
The Butter Knife has an estimated value on the current market for an average of $30.00-35.00, depending on the condition and where it is for sale at. These will typically sell higher in an Antique Shop or Private sale compared to an auction. If you are thinking of selling, you might want to check your local Antique Shops in the area to see what yours or one like it would sell for or has sold for, then you can decide to sell online or locally. As antiques and collectibles are subject in selling price to different areas across the country. Larger Metropolitan Areas bring higher prices then Smaller Cities.
.
If you plan on selling this I would list this for sell on the internet where it will have the largest shopping market. There are some great sites you can sell from. You can sell in your local area or a larger city near you with Craigslist, it is free, and when they item sells the buyer picks it up.
.
You can sell on Etsy, which is a great place to sell from, you list Vintage Items, they can stay until they sell. Much like having a little store online. There is also Rubylane, which is a more upscale site where people sell more expensive items. There is also Tias and GoAntiques, which is on the same scale of Rubylane. There is Amazon Market Place, ArtFire and of course Ebay. All of these sites get you a lot of World Wide exposure and bring the best traffic. They are all great!
Keep in mind if you sell to a dealer or antique or resell shop you can expect to get about 30-40% of what it is worth since they have to resell the item.
.
If you have any further questions or problem about your answer, please reply to me before deciding to leave a negative rating, which does effect my job.
.
If you would like to work with me on further questions you might have, it would be a pleasure to work with you again. All you have to do is put my name ( Glenda ) at the beginning of your question.
.
Please keep in mind I am only compensated from the site for my answer, if you rate me positively.
.
You do so immediately following this answer by clicking one of the top two Smiles, or Stars depending which one you see on your answer! .
.
Thank you so much!
Glenda
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Glenda thank you so much for your prompt professional response. I appreciate your help will ask for you if I have other questions. Nancy
Expert:  Glenda B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello
.
.
Thank you so much!
Glenda
Expert:  Glenda B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello Nancy
Is there something more I can help you with?
Glenda