Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques, Appraiser/ Researcher/ Entrepreneur
Experience:  30+ years in all aspects of the Antiques and Decorative Arts Industry
51883380

I have a near duplicate of the Chinese Warring States lacquer

Customer Question

I have a near duplicate of the Chinese Warring States lacquer box presently in the HUbei Museum, and figured in Three Thousand Years of Chinese Painting (Yang, et al., 1997, Yale Univ. Press; Fig. 9). Mine is so similar as to defensibly be from the same workshop and arguably be from the same craftsman. Mine is not quite as bright as the one illustrated (might benefir from restoration?), but on the good side has the original ring handle on top, two ring handles with Taotie masls on sides, and gold and silver inlaid bronze rings on the lid and base. I have had it for years, and it was from an old New England collection before that. Yang, et al., describe it as the outstanding example of that style of lacquer ware. What might mine be worth?
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.
Hi There~
My name is ***** ***** I am here to help with your question.
At your convenience, please send photos.
When evaluating an item, photos are essential to helping me come to a correct assessment.
There may be an +Add Files button or if there is a toolbar with a paperclip icon showing above the box where you type in responses, then follow the steps on this link for sharing photos:
http://ww2.justanswer.com/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert
I look forward to seeing the images. If you are unable to send photos right away, that is fine – there is not a time limit here.
Sincerely,
Nora