rarewares
rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Antiques dealer for over 10 years specializing in porcelain, glass, art, furniture, coins, watches, pocket watches, and jewelry.
68269273

We inherited a beautiful Hersch grandfather clock made with

Customer Question

We inherited a beautiful Hersch grandfather clock made with mahogany inlay and leaded glass. We want to transport it from CT to OH but want to do it ourselves. Could we lay it flat on a tempur-pedic mattress and bubble wrap it?
Category: Antiques
Expert:  rarewares replied 1 year ago.
It sounds like you have the Herschede Edinburgh model. You really should use insured professionals so that you are covered for the move and could be compensated. Take pictures of the clock now if you go that route. I would not suggest moving it yourself, but what you have proposed should work. Let the clock run down completely before you do anything. Remove the pendulum and weights and wrap separately in bubble wrap. I am too nervous to say, " yes, lay it down and bubble wrap it" because the leaded glass, dial and movement are so delicate. I know of a professional Herschede restorer and mover in Columbus, Ohio. I really think you should call him for additional verbal instruction before you go any further. His number is(###) ###-#### *****'ll give his website also in case something happens and you need some repair once it arrives.http://www.masterclockrepair.com/services.html