Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques, Appraiser/ Researcher/ Entrepreneur
Experience:  30+ years in all aspects of the Antiques and Decorative Arts Industry
51883380

How much is an original oil on canvas by henrietta hussey

Customer Question

how much is an original oil on canvas by henrietta hussey worth?
Category: Antiques
Expert:  rarewares replied 1 year ago.
I would love to help. Please add a photo of the painting and of the signature. You can do this by using the paper clip icon or the ADD FILES button. These features work best on a desktop computer.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
working on it...
Expert:  rarewares replied 1 year ago.
No hurry, this works more like email than chat. I will get an alert when you answer.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
here they are
Expert:  rarewares replied 1 year ago.
Thank you so much. Let me know what it says on the back as well. Too small in the photo to read. Sorry for all of the work, but the more info I have, the better.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
gimme a minute, it has a faded sticker on back of the canvas, and an inscription in the actual wood
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
here, try these
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
here, these are more clear
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
are you still there?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  rarewares replied 1 year ago.
I am still working on this. The reason I am having trouble is that I cannot rely on the hand written biography on the frame. The sticker is more reliable, but the missing pieces are my puzzle.
I do know that the piece was ehibited in 1890 as part of The Royal Institute of Painters in Oil Colours, possibly at Agnew And Sons Gallery, Piccadilly, W. This society had no one named Hussey in their rosters. If you look at the title, it reads xxxxx'S Sunny Spring by XXXXX. This piece looks more like the work of Alexander Hohenlohe Burr, who was a member and did exhibit in this particular show. So, my question; is this piece SIGNED on the FRONT with a name?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is no signature on the front visible, possibly under the frame which i dare not touch. Just the info that you and I can see. Isn't Henrietta Hussey a recognized painter, watercolor and oil?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I really have no clue. Am cleaning out my parents home to get ready for sale. This has been on the wall for decades
Expert:  rarewares replied 1 year ago.
Yes, but she was a watercolor artist. This style doesn't fit hers at all. I will give you an estimate for this as if it were her ice, it would be at 1000.00.