Nora
Nora, Expert in Fine and Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary
Experience:  Liberal Arts BA College Degree, Post-Graduate Christie's Education in London, 10 Yrs Art World Experience in NYC, President & Founder own Corporation. Member AOA & ISA USPAP Compliant through 2017
71377891

You helped me earlier with a mantel clock, thank you. I also

Customer Question

You helped me earlier with a mantel clock, thank you.
I also have a 2 piece server that I purchased in a New Braunfels Antique place, I was told it came from Belgium.
Can you give me some history and an estimate of its value as I want to sell it.
Dimensions are 5 ft tall x 7ft 5 in long( in the bottom section) x 20 inches wide also the bottom section .
It is good condition.
Thanks
Category: Antiques
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I had forgotton to add the pictures....
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.
Hi There~
My name is ***** ***** I am here to help with your question.
You have a vintage 3rd quarter 20th century, Brutalist era, oak server that is made in a Northern European Renaissance Revival style with hand carved Flemish scenes depicting people and scenes from the 16th century.
On today’s market, this can sell for a high of up to $600 - $800. The suggested insurance or replacement value is $2000.
Please note that experts here are not employees of justanswer.com, experts are verified users who are only paid when you leave a favorable rating.
If you are having trouble finding the rating button, please let me know!
Your question will NOT close after you leave rating.
Sincerely,
Nora
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nora,You say the style is Northren European but what country does it originate in .?
Between what years was it made?
Also you say the value is 600-800 , why is the replacement value 2000?Theses are probably dumb questions but I just want to understand .Thanks,
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your patience.
Your furniture piece was made in the 3rd quarter of the 20th century, which spans 1950 - 1975. The way the legs are carved is a style most prevalently seen on furniture dating to circa 1970.
It is made in Northern European Renaissance-Revival-style, meaning it is made to look like a piece of furniture that was made in the 1500's in Holland or Belgium, which is also referred to as Flemish.
In the absence of a maker mark or label, where this was made or who produced it cannot be definitively stated. The use of quarter-sawn oak would be more indicative of having been crafted in America.
The sale value is the high average that the buying public is generally willing to pay. The replacement value is almost always higher and usually the buying public does not pay full price on second-hand, vintage or antique items.
Sincerely,
Nora