AppraiserJM
AppraiserJM, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Certified Appraiser, Appraiser's Association of America. USPAP qualified through 2015.
30223878

I have the ny Herald newspapers lincoln assasination

Customer Question

I have the ny Herald newspapers for the lincoln assasination and the funeral. The papers were sealed by a Yale affiliated preservation group in picture frames and glass. what is their approximate worth?
Category: Antiques
Expert:  AppraiserJM replied 1 year ago.
My name is***** a certified appraiser, and I'd be happy to help.
This newspaper has been reproduced (facsimile) many times, from around 1870 onward (meaning that it could still be a facsimile despite being in the family for over 100 years).
Has it been authenticated as an original?
Jennifer
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes, by yale university
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the entire newspaper is intact in both cases
Thank you.
Regarding the April 15, 1865 example:
Is there a portrait of Lincoln on the front?
What is the "Whole #"?
Is there a time for the edition, printed on it?
What ads are visible?
Thanks.
Jennifer
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
have April 16,1865 addition, no adds on first page, whole # ***** ***** no portrait.no time
The April 20, 1865 edition has a whole #10461,no ads. no time
Thank you.
I was assuming you had the first one for the assassination, April 15, 110,456.
To confirm, you actually have the next day, April 16, 10,457? (That's of less value, but fortunately was rarely faked so you can be more confident in its authenticity.)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry for the misunderstanding. The papers are from the 16th and the 20th (which reports the funeral, eulogies, and the activities in DC). I believe the Peabody Museum at Yale authenticated them and then preserved and framed them sometime in the late 40's or early 50's. They did the same for the first edition of The Sporting News which is not in my possession anymore.
I am going to research these for you.
In the meantime, however, I want to point out that having them in frames from the 40s or 50s is possibly one of the worst ways to preserve them. At that time, they would have used backing and framing materials loaded with acid, and the glass would have no sort of UV protection. It is really not recommended to even use the most modern and scientific of conservation framing, but the best in the 50s is pretty awful by today's standards. There is going to be significant deterioration, including the papers becoming very brittle, which will make them significantly less desirable to buyers and collectors.
In a best case scenario, they should be stored flat in conservation wrapping and boxes, away from all light. But if it is really important to display them, they should be in contemporary conservation framing with UV blocking glass, In an area that gets very little sunlight or artificial light.
With the older framing, the April 16 paper would have an auction value of approximately $800-$900, and a retail value of approximately $1500.
The April 20 paper would have an auction value of approximately $300 to $400, and a retail value of approximately $600.
Sincerely,
Jennifer
I see you have not yet rated my assistance.
How can I help you further with this item?
Jennifer
Here at JustAnswer, Experts are not paid until the customer provides a rating for their work.
I understand you might be disappointed in the value, but hopefully it was still a useful service for you.
I would appreciate your rating at your earliest convenience.
Jennifer
I would appreciate a rating at your earliest convenience, so I can be credited for the time I spent in helping you.
Sincerely,
Jennifer