Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques, Appraiser/ Researcher/ Entrepreneur
Experience:  30+ years in all aspects of the Antiques and Decorative Arts Industry
51883380

N.4 marking on 18K Etruscan-style jewelry ?

Customer Question

I have an 18K jewelry necklace and bracelet that are of etruscan design and have the marking N.4 and I am trying to figure out what the N.4 represents. Could be N.A. but I believe it is N.4. What can you tell me about these pieces?

Category: Antiques
Expert:  Steven-R replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am pleased to help...that marking generally indicates an item worked in .750 (18k) gold in Neuchâtel (the system existed from 1880 until around 1907). The number "4" is the year mark, but unfortunately it could be 1884, 1894 or 1904 under the old gold standards marking system for precious metals. It would help greatly if I could see the type of latch closures used.

With kind regards,
Steve
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I am attaching the pictures of the clasp but I believe the N. marking representing Neuchatel is for watch cases only, not jewelry...

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Relist: Inaccurate answer.
expert answers applies to watches around turn of the century. It does not apply to the piece I am submitting. There was also no follow-up from the expert after I provided the information expert requested to give a better answer.