Robert S.
Robert S., Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Expert in decorative arts especially ceramics, silver, paintings, and furniture.
63759197

I have a heavy ceramic mirrow frame about 4 inches wide. The

Customer Question

I have a heavy ceramic mirrow frame about 4 inches wide. The whole diamiter is about 2 and a half feet. The frame has raised up babies all the way around it all playing on the ground. It's aprox 2 inches thick. It is a white background with a lot of detail its gorgeous
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Robert S. replied 1 year ago.
Hi! My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to help with your ceramic framed mirror.
Thanks for the photo, I can see exactly what type you have.
Could you very kindly attach a photo of the entire mirror so I can see the whole frame.
Also, any maker's marks on the back of the ceramic part?
Many thanks and wait to hear,
Robert
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Did you get it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No markings I think mirror mikght be newer and maybe covering markings
Expert:  Robert S. replied 1 year ago.
Many thanks for the helpful photo, and you may be right, the backing of a newer mirror plate may be covering up a mark if there is one.
No matter, knowing who the individual maker is does not increase or decrease the value in this case, it's just of curiosity interest only. These ceramic frames come from northern Italy, made by a great number of makers mostly in the province of Vicenza where the ceramic industry is centered, and are referred to generically as "Capodimonte" style embossed cherub decoration.
Called that because the style can be traced back to the porcelain produced by a famous but short-lived manufactory in the royal palace of Capo di Monte started by king Charles III of Naples in the mid-18th century in Italy.
From the design, I would say yours dates to the third quarter of the 20th century.
As for value, these are quite popular with collectors and decorators because they are extremely attractive and not that easy to find. If you were to sell at auction, or on-line (eBay etc) it would fetch in the region of $90 - $150.
It therefore has a full retail or replacement value of $300 and is what you should insure it for.
I do hope this helps!
Please let me know if I can be of further assistance with this, I would be glad to.
Best wishes,
Robert
Expert:  Robert S. replied 1 year ago.
If there's anything more I can help you with on this please don't hesitate to ask. If not, could you very kindly rate my services (with the smiley faces or the "Accept' button) as this is how I get paid by JustAnswer at no extra cost to you. We can still continue to communicate here on this thread after you do. Many thanks. Robert