Nora
Nora, Expert in Fine and Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary
Experience:  Liberal Arts BA College Degree, Post-Graduate Christie's Education in London, 10 Yrs Art World Experience in NYC, President & Founder own Corporation. Member AOA & ISA USPAP Compliant through 2017
71377891

I have an old 8 seat maple Cushman Colonial style table and

Customer Question

I have an old 8 seat maple Cushman Colonial style table and 1 chair is missing from the set. All 7 remaining chairs are the same and none have arm rests. I would say the chairs are in "good" condition. They have some rubbing wear in the finish from normal use and a couple blemishes on each chair where finish is missing. The chairs are not scratched though.
The table is big with a double drop side. Dimensions with both leafs up is 49" x 54". Some wear in the finish from normal use and a couple blemishes on the top. The wood however, is split all the way down middle of the table top and the split goes all the way through. The table top is in 2 pieces split in half (not including the leafs), but the table is somehow still solid. No repairs have been made. It doesn't wobble, even when lifting and moving the table.
1 of the leafs is also has 2 splits in the wood that almost run all the down long ways. My dad screwed several metal brackets on the bottom side of the leaf to hold it together. Ouch...
Excluding the split table top and one of the leafs, I'd say the table would have been in "good" condition. My parents gave it to me and I'm not sure how the wood split. Doesn't look like anything physically broke it, but rather from stress. Maybe from the wood drying out? I'm trying to figure out what it's worth to sell privately.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.
Hi There~
My name is ***** ***** I am here to help with your question.
At your convenience, please send photos.
When evaluating an item, photos are essential to helping me come to a correct assessment.
There may be an +Add Files button or if there is a toolbar with a paperclip icon showing above the box where you type in responses, then follow the steps on this link for sharing photos:
http://ww2.justanswer.com/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert
I look forward to seeing the images. If you are unable to send photos right away, that is fine – there is not a time limit here.
Sincerely,
Nora
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't know how I didn't see it the first time. Thank you for your patience.
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the images.
Please allow me some time to look these over for you.
~Nora
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.
Hi There~
Thank you for your patience.
On today’s market, each of the chairs can sell for $75 - $100 each per chair.
The splits in the wood top of the table, even though braced with metal, does impact the value. Because of the splits, this could sell for $150 -$250. The splits are caused because of the straight (not quarter-sawn) cut of the wood and weight-bearing over time. This is not uncommon but does have an effect on the value.
Please note that experts here are not employees of justanswer.com, experts are verified users who are only paid when you leave a favorable rating.
If you are having trouble finding the rating button, please let me know!
Your question will NOT close after you leave rating.
Sincerely,
Nora