rarewares
rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Antiques dealer for over 10 years specializing in porcelain, glass, art, furniture, coins, watches, sterling silver, pocket watches, and jewelry.
68269273

I would like your help in valuing my grandmother's patio set.

Customer Question

I would like your help in valuing my grandmother's patio set. It was made in 1954-56. It is painted wrought iron and fits the description of distressed. Standard cushions fit well. I have refinished 2 chairs and two tables, but it was some time ago and the rust is coming through again. They are a darker shade of green. I believe they were manufactured in the Midwest or East. I'm sure they were very well made for the time. I do have pictures if I can send them to you. Sally Grix ***@******.***
Category: Antiques
Expert:  rarewares replied 1 year ago.
The famous makers of iron patio furniture during that time and a bit before were Salterini, Woodard, Molla, Leinfelder and the Florentine Craft Studio. I have reviewed pattern books of all makers and your set was not made by any of them. These makers always had a curled leaf or flower within the iron design and yours is much simpler in design. It would have been made by a more common maker that made a discount type of set. This kind of furniture is hot right now and I would suggest not doing anything to the rust. This set has a value of 695.00 , maybe think of selling without the cushions so that someone can imagine their own style there.
You might try ebay with a local pick up stipulation. Mid Century modern should be in the title. You might also try a local auction house that has an online bidding presence (liveauctioneers and invaluable). Good luck!