Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques, Appraiser/ Researcher/ Entrepreneur
Experience:  30+ years in all aspects of the Antiques and Decorative Arts Industry
51883380

E G Zimmermann casket #11684. Cast iron C1850S

Customer Question

Category: Antiques
Expert:  rusufdavi replied 1 year ago.
Hello there
My name is ***** ***** I will try to help you in your question today. Thank you or using JustAnswer to solve your question.
Could you tell me the size of the cast iron?
Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Superb cast Iron Casket EG Zimmermann c1850s

• Sold for:

or

• to see what it's worth.

• Item Category: Metals

• Source: eBay UK

• Sold Date: May 14,2011

• Channel: Online Auction

Quite a rare and unusual item a cast iron casket with a lid made by eg zimmermann in hanau germany circa 1850 he was a blacksmith that decided to make unusual object as well as the more usual black smith type items. The item has some damage i guess the lid was dropped at some time and the fish hook that was once attached to the lid via an imitation line has become detached i have attached it back in the correct spot using wire to show! otherwise fine. The box measures 6" long 3.5" wide and 3" tall. and very heavy at 1.1kg. The inside of the lid has impressed numbers of 11684 and the usual zimmermann circular mark which reads verlag bet eg zimmermann in hanau. The outside is decorated with various symbols unsure of the significance but the is a 6 pointed star with AR inside it and piano written and a wine glass Also the number 23. The whole casket is strapped in imitation string. A very old item a real unusual piece.. will post worldwide please ask for p+p costs.

Expert:  rusufdavi replied 1 year ago.
Hello
Thanks for the reply,
Regarding the value of your item, I have just perform a market research of similar sold items as yours. I performed the research based upon the most recent finished auctions and private sells, so the value given is the real market value of your item. This is the only way to know the exact value of your unit.
The value will be in the range of 250-400$.
If you want to sell the unit I would recommend to sell them on the internet so you can reach more potential buyers. You can also sell the lot locally, Craigslist is free, and a lot of collectors look at the ads on Craiglist.
Keep in mind if you sell the unit to a resell shop, the price will decrease 20-30% from market value.
You can sell the item on Etsy, it's like you put the item in a online shop. You may also check Amazon Market Place. Both places have good reputation, and you can easily sell the items for a good price.
Let me know if I can help you any further, otherwise, please, remember to rate my answer!