Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques, Appraiser/ Researcher/ Entrepreneur
Experience:  30+ years in all aspects of the Antiques and Decorative Arts Industry
51883380

How do I find a value silk scroll (painting) age unknown but pre 1940. There i

Customer Question

How do I find a value for chinese silk scroll (painting) age unknown but pre 1940. There is some damage; looking to understand how it can be best preserved. Family piece that made it out of SHanghai, China in 1948.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.
Hi There~
My name is ***** ***** I am here to help with your question.
What is the approximate dimension.
At your convenience please send a clear, in-focus close-up of the red stamps on this.
There may be an +Add Files button or if there is a toolbar with a paperclip icon showing above the box where you type in responses, then follow the steps on this link for sharing photos:
http://ww2.justanswer.com/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert
I look forward to seeing the images. If you are unable to send photos right away, that is fine – there is not a time limit here.
Sincerely,
Nora
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Nora,See attached photo. Hope it's clear enough because it's been packed away now!Thanks,
Elaine
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry, approximate dimension is around 42" high x 10-11" wide (guesstimate)
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the image and dimensions.
I can provide an estimate based on who the possible artist might be, but I cannot be definitive.
~or~
I can opt-out and open your question again to all the experts.
Please let me know how you would like to proceed.
Sincerely,
Nora
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Nora,I appreciate your candor. if you opt out and no one else gives it a shot, would you be able to then give your best guess?In addition, I need to know the best way to preserve the painting. The silk of the scroll has some disintegration happening by the weights and the painting itself appears to have a few spots of water spotting. Can you refer me to someone in the Atlanta area who knows how to repair/preserve? It may be of no particular general value but it is the only piece of art that was brought out with the family during their exodus in 1948 from Shanghai just before Mao came to power so it's provinence is important to me.Thanks
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.
Hi There,
I will opt-out here and your question will open again to all the experts. If someone knows the answer they will post a response to you here. You do not need to re-list your question and this does not cost you extra.
I will not be able to respond back after opting-out and generally; usually I do not step back in if no one else responds.
I do hope you find the information that you seek.
Sincerely,
Nora