AppraiserJM
AppraiserJM, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Certified Appraiser, Appraiser's Association of America. USPAP qualified through 2015.
30223878

I have a rare piece of LEFTON. It is a 4 horse drawn carriage

Customer Question

I have a rare piece of LEFTON. It is a 4 horse drawn carriage with cherubs. They have a 2 horse version on the cover LEFTON China book by Loretta DeLozier.
My grandmother (passed away in 1989) purchased it from the LEFTON wholesale showroom in the 50's-60's (?)on a buying trip for the retail store she owned and operated. The salespeople at the showroom of LEFTON where hesitant to sell because it was only for display but my grandmother insisted she needed it for her shop.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for sharing this piece by Lefton here.
What information is it that you are seeking about your figural?
~Nora
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well, i guess we're trying to find a value in today's market what it might be worth. I've done what kind of research can be done on line.... But very little has come up. All I can find is the LEFTON book with the 2 horse on the cover.... I have ordered the book on line.... So I'm not sure if the talk about the piece I have or not, or a suggested price at the time of printing ( late 90's) I realize the markets fluctuate all over the place.
Did LEFTON make this piece for resale? If so, how many???
Did LEFTON have a model # ***** description for it?
Best advise on selling it?
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.
Hi There,
I will check my Lefton resources for you, and in the meantime I will opt-out here and your question will open again to all the experts. If someone knows the answer they will post a response to you here. You do not need to re-list your question and this does not cost you extra.
I do hope you find the information that you seek.
Sincerely,
Nora
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you
Expert:  AppraiserJM replied 1 year ago.
Good morning.
My name is***** a certified appraiser, and I'd be happy to help.
Would it be possible to upload a photo of the marks/stickers on the bottom? If not, can you just tell me exactly what they say and what colors they are?
Thanks.
Jennifer
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes I can, I have new photos that were taken of the piece that may help out. I will send them tonight when I get back from work, thanks
Thanks. If you have any problem uploading them, they can be emailed to***@******.*** . Just make sure you ask them to forward them to me, AppraiserJM.
Jennifer
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have more information as well.
My grandmother purchased it in 1949 at the Showroom in Chicago. They were hesitant in selling because it was only made for the showroom not to be sold. My grandmother was persistent.
It measures 20" long by 10" high.
I hope this helps, thanks
Todd Gustafson
Thank you.
While she purchased this in 1949, it was produced prior to 1945. Had it been produced later, it would have been marked "Made in Occupied Japan." So this was very early, probably 1942-1943.
That said, Lefton has not maintained the collectable value, that other porcelain manufacturers have (Doulton, Coalport, etc.). I did a review of all major and minor auction houses over the past 20 years, and I cannot find a Lefton piece selling at auction above $150. So while I agree this is a very notable piece, probably one of the most valuable Lefton pieces out there, it's all relative and at auction, this would not be estimated above $500.00 in an auction house (either brick and mortar or online).
Moving to eBay, we do find higher sales, with pieces going as high as $1200 over the past few years. The problem is that eBay records are completely unverified, unlike records at auction houses. I can't say that those prices--which are random and don't match with the majority--were actually paid. That said, after reviewing everything available for the past few years, in a well-placed, well-advertised eBay auction, I would expect a final bid ranging from $1500-$2000.
For insurance purposes, it would be reasonable to double this to $4000 as an estimated retail selling price through a reputable dealer.
Sincerely,
Jennifer
Good morning,
I see you still have not rated or accepted my reply. I am happy to continue to discuss further with you.
Sincerely,
Jennifer
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your information. I too wish there were more documentation for LEFTON. I think the price seems fair for what the piece could bring.... ( if you're into that type of thing.... :-) )
Thank you
Todd
Thanks. Could you please apply the official "rating" of my help, if you can? If not, just let me know and I'll notify customer service. I need that rating so the question can be credited to me.
Sincerely,
Jennifer
I would appreciate if you could rate my assistance. I will not get credit for answering your question until you do.
Sincerely,
Jennifer