Nora
Nora, Expert in Fine and Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary
Experience:  Liberal Arts BA College Degree, Post-Graduate Christie's Education in London, 10 Yrs Art World Experience in NYC, President & Founder own Corporation. Member AOA & ISA USPAP Compliant through 2017
71377891

About a month ago I found a cedar chest that someone had thrown away. It was pretty be

Customer Question

Hi, about a month ago I found a cedar chest that someone had thrown away. It was pretty beat up. I brought it home and refurbished it. It was made by the Red Cedar Chest Company. Inside was a letter stating that it was used for a moth test by the Dept of Agriculture dated May 6. 1915. I'm sure that because of the refurbish, that it has lost value. I believe it was model 707. It is now my grand daughters toy box.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Nora replied 2 years ago.
Hi There~
My name is ***** ***** I am here to help with your question.
At your convenience, please send more photos.
There may be an +Add Files button or if there is a toolbar with a paperclip icon showing above the box where you type in responses, then follow the steps on this link for sharing photos:
http://ww2.justanswer.com/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert
I look forward to seeing the images. If you are unable to send photos right away, that is fine – there is not a time limit here.
Sincerely,
Nora
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
This is all the images I have. I wish I had the before pictures when I first got it. The letter was in the box when I found it & I left it in there. It did have the straps across the top, but they were pretty beat up. There was a split across the back that some one else had repaired. ( and did a real bad job of it) I did the best I could to fix it. In image #3 the inside back left corner has damage but it cannot be seen from the out side. It looks like the hinges were also replaced as they don't sit right, but do work fine. I also had to replace the lid trim as the front right side looked was chewed. (possibly a dog or some other pet) the original finish was scratched real bad which is why I refinished it. The natural cedar colors , to me, look so much nicer than the stain & what I believe was shellac, that was on it. I used a clear satin to finish it. The trim pieces, handles & feet I did with a gloss black lacquer.paint, just to add a little contrast.
Expert:  Nora replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for the images.
Please allow me some time to look these over for you.
~Nora
Expert:  Nora replied 2 years ago.
Hi There~
Thank you for your patience.
In original and good condition, your trunk would have had a high value of $800. The value of the trunk in as-found condition, that you detailed for me here, would have been $50 - $100. Your excellent restoration work on this helped to re-coup some of the value which would now be $250 - $400.
Please note that experts here are not employees of justanswer.com, experts are verified users who are only paid when you leave a favorable rating.
If you are having trouble finding the rating button, please let me know!
Your question will NOT close after you leave rating.
Sincerely,
Nora