Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques, Appraiser/ Researcher/ Entrepreneur
Experience:  30+ years in all aspects of the Antiques and Decorative Arts Industry
51883380

I have a painting we brought from Germany (Nuremberg)

Customer Question

Hello! I have a painting we brought from Germany (Nuremberg) in 1966. It is not dated; there is no artist info on the back (only the name of the canvas material -- Viktoria); and the artist's signature is illegible. Kind of looks like it starts with H.S. The last letter might be a weird Y or an odd "tree." (Truth be told ... it looks phallic to me!) The image is of a young nude in a bed (or maybe just draped over chairs) with an old woman sitting behind her. My little brother used to say it was "the Oma putting the girl out to dry." :) Does this subject matter sound familiar to anyone? I have photos I can send of the signature and the painting. Please let me know what I can do to help figure out the history of this piece. Many thanks for your time. Karen Tomolonois Clayton, Durham, NC
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.
Hi There~
My name is ***** ***** I am here to help with your question.
What is the size?
At your convenience, please send photos.
A complete image of the artwork including frame both front and back (do not remove from frame), a clear in-focus close-up of the signature, and a close-up of the surface so I can see the texture will be ideal.
When taking a clear close-up try using the macro function on your camera. It looks like a small flower icon. This will allow sharper focus at a closer-range.
There may be an +Add Files button or if there is a toolbar with a paperclip icon showing on your board, then follow the steps on this link:
http://ww2.justanswer.com/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert
I look forward to seeing the images. If you are unable to send photos right away, that is fine – there is not a time limit here.
Sincerely,
Nora
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi. Nora.
The size inside frame is 31 x 23. Photos attached. Texture should show with signature.
Many thanks.
Karen
P.S. Cannot load image of back. Perhaps in another communication? Then I might have a closer image of the signature. These photos taken with assistance. Alone right now, and not enough light. (I never used to believe my husband when he told me that in the past. I am now a believer!)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nora, Here's the back!
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.
Hi Karen,
Thank you for the images.
At your convenience, please send more close-up in-focus images of the signature from different angles.
~Nora
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nora,
Here are two more angles of the signature taken with the iPad. My husband says we can do some more with a "real" camera if needed. We would take it outside for better lighting as well. (As Andy Griffith used to say, "Call the man!") Let me know what you think. On further examination, the last "letter" kind of looks like an elongated animal paw. Weird, huh?
Thanks,
Karen
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.
I am unable to decipher the signature from the photos here.
I can await more images at your convenience.
~or~
I can opt-out and open your question again to all the experts.
Please let me know how you would like to proceed.
Sincerely,
Nora
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nora,
We will try again with a better camera and more light. As I mentioned in my original question, the signature is illegilbe (atl least to me), and I am right in front of it. Sigh.
Please give us a few days to get better pictures, and we will see what happens then.
Thanks for your patience.
Karen
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.
Hi Karen,
Please send the new images at your convenience. No rush.
~Nora
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Right. Will do!
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.
Thanks