rarewares
rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Antiques dealer for over 10 years specializing in porcelain, glass, art, furniture, coins, watches, pocket watches, and jewelry.
68269273

I have a bust called "LUNA", made as I understand it by ZSOLNAY

Customer Question

I have a bust called "LUNA", made as I understand it by ZSOLNAY kiln in Rhode Island - engraving on the back begins "ges but is covered by a small metal plaque "Copyright by O. Henncke". I was told this is a bust of spring and that there were busts of all the seasons - cannot confirm this. Can you help me?
Category: Antiques
Expert:  rarewares replied 1 year ago.
Zsolnay is a ceramic pottery in the country of Hungary. The Luna bust was a model of Sandor Apati Abt done in 1899 in their famous eosin glaze, an iridescent and electric coloring. It has no real connection to the seasons at all but is more of a portrait bust. The piece that you mentioned is one of these busts that is in the collection in the living room of one of the huge mansions in Newport, Rhode Island. To be a real Zsolnay, it would have to have ABT, some numbers, and Zsolnay imprinted. The C. Hennecke company plaque indicates that this is a plaster replica of the original Zsolnay piece. C. Hennecke of Milwaukee, Wisconsin made replicas of all of the famous pieces of the Victorian period. Since this piece was presented at the Paris Exposition in 1900, it was quickly a well-known and revered bust. Your piece has a value of 200-250.00.