Doris - dfm925
Doris - dfm925, Pres, Owner, Appraisals Corporation
Experience:  Antiques store owner 10+yrs.Best of City Two Years. Collector 56+yrs.USPAP compliant. Member AOA.Founded part of antiques, silver & art collection at local museum.
19572128

We have 30' x 40' picture painted by Ben Turner in

Customer Question

We have 30' x 40' picture painted by Ben Turner in the 1940's. There is a buckskin horse (possible Fern Sawyer cutting horse)in foreground with cowboy lighting a cigarette, Herford cattle around a dirt tank with large tree and Caprock background.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Doris - dfm925 replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome! My name is Doris.
I have been an antiques collector, dealer and appraiser for over 56 years.
I will be pleased to help you.
Alan no longer works on this site. I hope you do not object to my taking your question.
Please allow me time to research your question, calculate current values and write my answer.
Kind regards,
Doris
Ben Turner
" A native-born artist from Gallup, New Mexico, Ben Turner is noted for his paintings of Southwest landscapes, especially "lushly colorful landscapes featuring all the hallmarks of the autumn cottonwoods/aspens school of New Mexico painting." (Clemmer, 98) Many of his landscapes have adobe structures. A descendant of famous English painter, Joseph Mallord ***** ***** (1775-1851), Ben Turner established studios in Taos and Santa Fe, New Mexico; Redstone, Colorado; and Matzalan, Mexico.
His interest in art developed in high school, and following graduation, he attended the University of New Mexico and the Art Institute of Chicago. He then worked as a cartoonist, creating a series called "Jerry and Jake", which was syndicated throughout the Southwest to nearly 50 newspapers. He spent much time in Taos where he painted with and learned technique from Eanger Couse, Ernest Blumenschein, Victor Higgins and Joseph Henry Sharp.
During World War II, he served with the Army Air Corps, and founded the 15th Air Force Staff Artists. He created posters and portraits of Army personnel and also painted battle scenes from on-site drawings that he made in Bari, Italy and the Ploesti Fields of Romania. His work from this period was published in magazines including Look and Life."
Sources include:
David Clemmer, Serenading the Light: Painters of the Desert Southwest, p. 98
http://www.adobegallery.com/artist.php?artist_id=208
When assessing an artist's painting, appraisers must look at sales of works by the same artist. Art gallery sales prices are private.
We must then go to auction sales prices which are public. When using comparable work by the same artist, medium, subject matter and size are factors to be considered.
These are some auction records I found for work by Ben Turner -
20.5 x 24" - Altermann - 12.7.14 - Sold $3600
30 x 36" - Altermann - 12.7.14 - Sold $4200
24 x 36" - Altermann - 8.16.14 - Sold $3950
These results indicate that your larger painting has an estimated auction value range of $4500-4800 assuming excellent condition.
A retail art gallery would probably double the auction sales price.
A private seller to a dealer can expect 40-60% of retail value.
I hope I have helped you.
If I can help you with further questions about this answer, please let me know before you rate me.
All my answers are quoted in USA dollars.
I endeavor to give realistic, honest values in a timely manner.
If you would like to work with me on future questions, I would be pleased to work with you.
All you have to do is put my name (Doris) at the beginning of your question.
Please take a little time to give me a POSITIVE RATING now so that I am compensated by JA for my time and effort. This is of no cost to you.
Please do not rate me down because of system difficulty, site charges or current appraisal values - all three are beyond my control.
Please let me know if you have difficulty with the site's rating system.
Kind regards.
Doris
Hi there!
I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help?
Let me know,
Doris