Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques, Appraiser/ Researcher/ Entrepreneur
Experience:  30+ years in all aspects of the Antiques and Decorative Arts Industry
51883380

I have just been given a family "treasure" that has a story

Customer Question

I have just been given a family "treasure" that has a story attached which I am trying to authenticate. Perhaps you could give me some direction in this quest.
The story is as follows. Peter Mallaby a blacksmith born in 1854 in Toronto Canada in his spare time was engaged in "tramp Art". I have one "Crown of Thorns" picture frame, the only piece of his prodigious output left. He is alleged to have sent a piece of his tramp art to a "London England exhibition". No further information about when this occurred. He apparently was awarded a prize for his entry which was a turned wooden salad bowl with a silver rim and handles and a white Carlton Ware insert, backstamp blue W&R crown swallow, Stoke on Trent and Carlton Ware. Salad servers with turned wood handles were also included.
I have scoured the internet and wondered if the Coronation Exhibition of George the V in 1911 might have been where this "prize" was obtained. At that point Peter Mallaby would have been 57 years old.
Could you give me any suggestions as to where I might be able to track down information about this well turned salad bowl and its history?
Thanks for any help you might be able to suggest.
Margaret Gordon
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Steven-R replied 1 year ago.
Could you post an image of the set and a close up of the marking, please?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
/Users/margaretgordon/Desktop/PeterMallabyPrizeBowlCropped.jpg/Users/margaretgordon/Desktop/CarltonWarePeterBowlStamp.jpg
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm not sure how to post these two things. I did a copy and paste from the desk top.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This morning 4 June I recieved an email, subject "I just responded to your antiques question". This email ended up in the spam trap. I "accepted" the email as non spam but for some reason the email was held as a non spam incident and remailed. Could you send your reply again now that I have your reply identified as "non spam". So far I have your reply "Could you post an image of the set and close up of the marking". I did not know how to post the image and marking in this format so tried a copy and paste solution. Did you get the image and marking you asked for.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have added the photos Carlton Ware Stamp and Prize Bowl as explained in the help section.