Robert S.
Robert S., Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Expert in decorative arts especially ceramics, silver, paintings, and furniture.
63759197

I have an 18" round Imari plate with a certificate from the

Customer Question

I have an 18" round Imari plate with a certificate from the Japan Art Center. The certificate indicated it's from the end of the Edo Period. It has no markings on the back of the plate but does have blue and white "feathers" painted on the back rim. The place itself has a center floral on white. The overall colors are navy, orange, gold and some turquoise.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Robert S. replied 1 year ago.
Hi! My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to help with your interesting Imari plate.
Could you very kindly attach photos of the top side and the whole of the underside (even though it's unmarked there are other features there that help with age, origin and value).
Many thanks and wait to hear,
Robert.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I couldn't get a very clear picture of the front but maybe it's enough to give you an idea of the pattern.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can't tell if the files were sent. Did you receive them?Customer
Expert:  Robert S. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Customer,
Many thanks for the photos, that helps a lot.
The one of the front is a little blurred, but I should be able to work with it. If you can get a sharper one, that would be great, but not to worry, it does show the pattern.
I'll have a full answer and a value as soon as I can.
Best wishes,
Robert
Expert:  Robert S. replied 1 year ago.
Apologies for the delay in getting back to you.
But now that I have I'll give you my full and prompt attention.
This is indeed an example of late Edo period Imari export ware, and a very handsome and decorative one. Incidentally, a large dish of this size is often referred to as a "charger".
The pattern is typical of the day (1850 - 1870) with four-segment radial symmetry, densely decorated with brocades and diaper patterns
around a central floral medallion, the cobalt blue design painted under the glaze and the other colors added on top.
The spur mark on the back in the center (where it was propped on a little stilt of porcelain to prevent it slumping in the kiln and fusing with the saggar underneath) is a good sign to see as it helps corroborate the date to this late Edo or possibly early Meiji date.
As for price, the value of Imari porcelain is not nearly where it was a generation ago when the Japanese were all so wealthy and created a bubble in the market, however authentic older examples such as yours will always find a ready buyer. If you sold at a good antique auction house it would fetch in the range of $600 - $900.
Therefore the full replacement value is $1800 and is what you should insure it for.
I do hope this helps!
Please let me know if I can be of further assistance with this, I would be glad to.
Best wishes,
Robert
Expert:  Robert S. replied 1 year ago.
If there's anything more I can help you with on this please don't hesitate to ask. If not, could you very kindly rate my services (with the smiley faces or the "Accept" button) as this is how I get paid by JustAnswer at no extra cost to you. We can still continue to communicate here on this thread after you do.
Many thanks.
Robert