Nora
Nora, Expert in Fine and Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary
Experience:  Liberal Arts BA College Degree, Post-Graduate Christie's Education in London, 10 Yrs Art World Experience in NYC, President & Founder own Corporation. Member AOA & ISA USPAP Compliant through 2017
71377891

Scottish mirror with hammered brass knot work. 25" x 11". Read more:

Customer Question

Scottish mirror with hammered brass knot work. 25" x 11".
Bought at an estate sale on Palm Beach island.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.
Hi There~
My name is ***** ***** I am here to help with your question.
Is this marked Made in Scotland?
At your convenience, please send a photo of the back side. .
There may be an +Add Files button or if there is a toolbar with a paperclip icon showing above the box where you type in responses, then follow the steps on this link for sharing photos:
http://ww2.justanswer.com/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert
I look forward to seeing the images. If you are unable to send photos right away, that is fine – there is not a time limit here.
Sincerely,
Nora
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There are no markings or stamps, the back appears to be old wood.
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.
At your convenience, please send a clear in-focus close-up of the hook and eye that is holding the hanging wire.
Thank you,
Nora
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Pictures
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.
Hi There~
Thank you for the images and for your patience.
This is a hand hammered brass frame around a beveled mirror.
The design is Irish Celtic.
This dates to the early 20th century. circa 1910, Arts & Crafts era.
Though done in an Irish design, without a country of origin stamp where this was made and by whom cannot be definitively stated.
Antique framed beveled mirrors are popular among collectors, designers and decorators.
On today’s market, expect to garner $100 - $200 at auction for this.
Please note that experts here are not employees of justanswer.com, experts are verified users who are only paid when you leave a favorable rating.
If you are having trouble finding the rating button, please let me know!
Your question will NOT close after you leave rating.
Sincerely,
Nora
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I haven't rated the service as I don't like to leave an unfavorable review. I was rather disappointed in your ability to view an item and recognize its era and style. If this mirror was out of your area you should have referred me to someone else. But for a paid service to ask if it has identifying marks or does it have "made in Scotland" written on it was a little silly. If it did I would just have looked up the marks myself, and as for "made in Scotland," either that is a ridiculous question or you were showing me my it was presumptuous to declare it Scottish without being an expert. I am not satisfied, as the price guarantees but I will leave a medium range review.
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.
I asked if it was marked "Made in Scotland" as deductive logic directed to why you concluded that an object with Celtic knot decoration would be Scottish.
The question was not intended to be ridiculous or silly, it was to gain a scope and understanding while assessing your item online through photos only.
I will send your 'unsatisfied' sentiment to admin on your behalf, and I recommend you contact them from your end as well.
Please note that experts here are not employees of justanswer.com. Experts do not handle charges, fees, credit cards, memberships or subscriptions in any way or form.
I will not be able to respond back after sending in your request.
Sincerely,
Nora
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
As I thought, the question was intended to show me my own foolishness. My feedback is to avoid treating clients with condescension and sarcasm then.
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.
The question was posed logically and not intended with sarcasm in any way whatsoever.
~Nora