Frank
Frank, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Expert in gold, silver, jewelry and American antiquities.
66811035

We have a knife and fork set was given to my grandfather in

Customer Question

We have a knife and fork set was given to my grandfather in the late 50s or early 60s. He was tiold the handles were hand carved deer horn. The handles are a dark reddish color appear to be intact with no damage. The set nees to be cleaned and the knife has some (what appears to be) slight damage. Do you think the set would be worth the expense of cleaning? I couldn't see a way to attach a picture.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Frank replied 1 year ago.
Hello and Welcome to Just Answer,
My name is***** am a Personal Property Appraiser and would be happy to assist you with your question.
When looking at the set do you see any maker's names or marks on the blade?
On the decorated wrap that separates the handles from the blade, there may be a name , wording or lettering in very small print, do you see anything on this portion?
Thanks for your time today,
Frank
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The blade has a stamp of Jay Russell & Company Green River Co. 1834. I didn't see any markings on the rest of the knife or fork. I attached a picture of the stamping. I have other pictures but can only attach one to each response.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The handles
Expert:  Frank replied 1 year ago.
***** ***** and Green River Knives began production in the early 1834. Originally stamped with the J. Russell & Co. they later added the Green River works to the knife stamping. The knives were sold originally to butchers, but their durability proved so well that numerous mountaineers claimed their use and Green River Knives began branching out from the kitchen to the wilderness. The Green River merged in 1933 with Harrington who did still use the Green River stamp but changed the name of the Company to Russell Harrington Cutlery and who is now known as the Dexter Russell Company.
Your Stag handle carving set including fork and knife sou;d have been produced closer to the late 19th century. The knives have a silver plated wrap that separate the steel from the handle.
In the current as is condition you would be looking at a resale value of roughly 50-65USD.
If you are going to keep them, then I would say you could go ahead and clean them up. But if you were ever going to attempt to sell them, I would advise leaving the pieces alone, as collectors want the original patina on the steel.
I hope this information was helpful to you today.
Best of luck with your antique carving set.
Any feedback you can leave for my service would be much appreciated.
Thank You,
Frank
Please let me know if you have any difficulties with our rating system.