Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques, Appraiser/ Researcher/ Entrepreneur
Experience:  30+ years in all aspects of the Antiques and Decorative Arts Industry
51883380

Glenda I have come across an antique file cabinet from the US Paten

Customer Question

Hi Glenda I have come across an antique file cabinet from the US Patent office in DC made of (Tiger?) oak. I am looking for the Top level. I think it is a Yawman and Erbe from Rochester NY. It looks like their style. I would like to know if they were commissioned for work for The US patent Office in DC.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Glenda B. replied 1 year ago.
My name is Glenda,
I will be glad to help you today.

What is it you are needing to know about this? Is this yours in the picture?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I own the piece in the Picture. I am looking for the top section. I would like to know if this is a Yawman and Erbe. I have more pictures but I can't seem to attach them here.

I would like to know if Yawman and Erbe had a Contract to build Files for The US Patent office in DC. That is where this was found and I am told that is where this was from. Based on the cards in the files I believe it. Sadly the top level is missing. I would like to find a top level or levels...If there were a model Number or....Something to help me search with ask questions with. Do records from Yawman and Erbe exist anywhere? I also think it could be a "Globe" manufactured cabinet.

Expert:  Glenda B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello Brian

There is no way to know if this is made by Yawman and Erbe from Rochester NY, without it being marked. There are not records from this company that can be accessed by the public if there are even any records from the company.

The only thing you can do is search patent records, which are public! They are under United States Patent.

But there is no way to determine who made this or if the company that made it were commissioned by the The US Patent office in DC.
.
There are just no records to access for this information.

Glenda
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Is there any way to search for a top?

Expert:  Glenda B. replied 1 year ago.
Brian
The only way I know to search is to just search google, if it is for sale on the internet then it would show up there. There are not books or catalogs to find items like this, it is just by searching and more searching. I would try Eby first.

Glenda