Nora
Nora, Expert in Fine and Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary
Experience:  Liberal Arts BA College Degree, Post-Graduate Christie's Education in London, 10 Yrs Art World Experience in NYC, President & Founder own Corporation. Member AOA & ISA USPAP Compliant through 2017
71377891

I have a hand painted bird and flowers by Ida Sommer. The sides

Customer Question

I have a hand painted bird and flowers by Ida Sommer. The sides have a golden loop handles, gold balls for feet. I've seen a vase that looks almost like it, but this has two different bird scenes on each side is very heavy, is signed on the painting, and on the bottom. It's about 8'' across by 9" this is the glass far part. It is really beautiful heavy piece. I bought it in Minneapolis at second hand.
Category: Antiques
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How much is it worth ?
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.
Have you checked the underside for any factory marks?
~Nora
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is a marking,but that is directly where the lamp goes through. I see the words France a symbol above that, then words at the top, in an olive green stamping. I'm scared to unscrew it because there is some black hardened rubber between the washer. Its hand signed on the bird picture as well on the bottom. There is a large F symbol on the turn switch that turns the lamp on. This little lamp is extremely heavy about 10 lbs.
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.
Hi There~
Thank you for your patience.
The base was originally a porcelain cachepot made in Limoges, France circa 1900 then converted to a lamp in the 3rd quarter of the 20th century.
The cachepot was made originally as a blank or white ware in Limoges, France then exported to be decorated by hand by studio artisans and hobbyist painters. Yours was hand painted by Ida Summer.
On today’s market, your French Limoges porcelain hand painted cachepot that was converted to a lamp can sell for a high average of $100 - $200. The suggested insurance or replacement value is $300.
Please note that experts here are not employees of justanswer.com, experts are verified users who are only paid when you leave a favorable rating.
If you are having trouble finding the rating button, please let me know!
Your question will NOT close after you leave rating.
Sincerely,
Nora