Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques, Appraiser/ Researcher/ Entrepreneur
Experience:  30+ years in all aspects of the Antiques and Decorative Arts Industry
51883380

I have a large acrylic on canvas of a masked jester playing

Customer Question

I have a large acrylic on canvas of a masked jester playing a string instrument, signed and numbered, JS 48.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.
Hi There~
My name is ***** ***** I am here to help with your question.
What is the size?
At your convenience, please send more photos.
A complete image of the back side (do not remove from frame), and a clear in-focus close-up of the initials will be helpful.
When taking a clear close-up try using the macro function on your camera. It looks like a small flower icon. This will allow sharper focus at a closer-range.
If there is a toolbar with a paperclip icon showing on your board, then follow the steps on this link:
http://ww2.justanswer.com/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert
I look forward to seeing the images. If you are unable to send photos right away, that is fine – there is not a time limit here.
Sincerely,
Nora
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The size of the canvas is 30 x 44. There are no visible markings on the back of the canvas.
I'm having a difficult time adding images due to size restrictions. I will keep trying.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
close up photos
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
additional close up photos
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Close up of the left hand. I hope these photos will help. Thank you for your time.
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.
Hi ,
Thank you for the images.
Please allow me some time to look these over for you.
~Nora
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.
I can provide a possible attribution as to artist and an estimate of value based on comparables. An attribution is not a definitive, just a most likely possible artist to have made your painting.
-or-
I can opt-out and open your question again to all the experts here.
Please let me know how you would like to proceed.
Sincerely
Nora
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello Nora,Thank you for your honesty and your time. Hmmm, I don't want to ask you to opt out. I'm very curious and really anxious to know if it's even possible to find the artist, therefore I'm torn. I suppose I shall wait. Please post my question to all. Fingers crossed. Thank you so very much.
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.
Hi~
Okay, I will opt-out here and your question will open again to all the experts. If someone knows the answer they will post a response to you here. You do not need to re-list your question and this does not cost you extra.
I will not be able to respond back after opting-out.
I do hope you find the information that you seek.
Sincerely,
Nora
Expert:  Steven-R replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am pleased to try to help, but as I have searched all known listed artist signature guides for a match, there is no positive match, sorry. The piece was clearly done by an artist with talent and some formal training, but most likely it is either a work done by a student or perhaps one done in a studio guild situation, where artists are retained to craft art targeted for the decor and home furnishings trade--not fine art.
I can also provide you with an estimate of value, if you wish--just let me know.
With kind regards,
Steve
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Greetings Steve,
Thank you for researching.
I believe I may know the name of the artist or at least I have a good guess. The signature is exactly that as listed on his other works of art.
Expert:  Steven-R replied 1 year ago.
Hi--I can find nothing at all in listed artist guides, sorry...I will opt out in the hopes another may better assist you.
With kind regards,
Steve