Robert S.
Robert S., Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Expert in decorative arts especially ceramics, silver, paintings, and furniture.
63759197

How much would I get plate 7781 D4049

Customer Question

How much would I get for dalton plate 7781 D4049
Category: Antiques
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have a lot of the coaching will I list each item, I need to move house and it all must go
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Robert S. replied 1 year ago.
Hi! My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to help with your Royal Doulton plate.Does it look like this one, by any chance?http://i.imgur.com/gj0d6P7.jpgIf so, how big is it?Many thanks and wait to hear.Robert
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes but rectangle I have a photo on my phone will try to send
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
are you able to give me email I send from phone
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have send photos by phone hope you get them, thank you
Expert:  Robert S. replied 1 year ago.
Thanks! I'll let you know as soon as I see them this end.
In the meantime, is it like either of these two?
(1)
http://imgur.com/525xwGU
(2)
http://imgur.com/4FU5c2i
Can you give me the dimensions?
Many thanks,
Robert
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
280cmx130 and No 1 photo
Expert:  Robert S. replied 1 year ago.
Thanks so much for confirming the rectangular shape and for the measurements, that helps a lot.
This pansy pattern "D4049" by Royal Doulton is quite a famous one and was very popular in its day. It was issued in 1919 and remained in production until the 1950s, though most of it dates to the 1920s, which is probably when yours was made.
With its bold and colorful design of large pansy flowers and contrasting black border it was an almost shocking change from the traditional small and fussy floral patterns that the previous generation of Edwardians preferred. It marked a tidal shift in tastes in the upheaval and aftermath of World War I, a wave of innovative design that created the Art Deco period of the roaring '20s and Jazz Age '30s where bright colors and bold black and white contrast were all the rage.
It was so 'modern' in its day that it still looks innovative to this day and hard to believe that in four years time this pattern will be a hundred years old.
Your 11" rectangular tray is quite a sought after shape. If you were to sell at a good antique auction house or on line (eBay etc) it would fetch in the range of AU$150 - $225.
It therefore has a full replacement value of AU$450 and is what you should insure it for.
I do hope this helps!
Please let me know if I can be of further assistance with this, I would be glad to.
Best wishes,
Robert