Steven-R
Steven-R, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  I am a retired Major, US Army, and an antiques and collectibles consultant based on the east coast.
74160645

I have a montgomery wards laundry stove its a small cast i

Customer Question

I have a montgomery wards laundry stove its a small cast i prom stove in excellent condition it has numbers as follows 74As-6205A no.8 and jumbo on the door , in the montgomery wards catilogue from 1895 it is valued at three dollars and 97 cents can you tell me any thing about it?
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Steven-R replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am pleased to help you! You have a relatively common home stove which was sold via the mail order catalog trade in the late 1890s to early 1900s era. The stove was not manufactured by Montgomery Ward, as they produced nothing but catalogs, but most of their ware in that era were cast in Pennsylvania by several foundries who sold similar goods to their chief rival, Sears and Roebuck.
It appears to be in very good original condition and is a wood burner, not a coal fired stove. The "Jumbo" was the model that followed what was called the "Anchor" series, made from the mid-1870s until the early 1890s.
Stoves such as you possess have been used in America for heating and other utilitarian chores since the eighteenth century and for cooking since the nineteenth century.
At present, the typical active retail range for your stove would be from $300 to $500 pending actual condition and demand at any given time.
If I can be of further assistance on this topic in any manner, please just ask--my goal is to provide accurate and prompt information back to you in a professional manner.
Anytime I can help you out on any other topic, just let me know--you can request me by simply putting my name at the beginning of a posted question.
Please take a minute to rate my answer and fill out any surveys the site sends to you as that is how we are evaluated for service and also credited for our time and effort.
Have a blessed day!
With kind regards,
Steve