Steven-R
Steven-R, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  I am a retired Major, US Army, and an antiques and collectibles consultant based on the east coast.
74160645

What is a Piranesi etching worth

Customer Question

What is a Piranesi etching worth
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Steven-R replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am pleased to help. Giovanni Battista Piranesi (1720 – 1778) was an Italian artist famous for his etchings of Rome and of fictitious "prisons", mostly. His works have been duplicated many hundreds of times over the years.
Most all of his known works from the open market sell in the range of $200 to $600 each today, and over 5,000 examples are listed in art databases.
Most are 18" x 30" in size and many were made in bookplate form, about half those dimensions. The smaller ones retail in the $65-125 range for the most part.
Here is the last recorded open market offering for your review:
---
Lot # *****
Trofeo o sia magnifica Colonna Coclide di marmo composta di g ... (1775)
Print-Multiple , Etching , 27 1/2 in x 17 5/8 in
Estimate: $275-550 USD
Hammer price: $221 USD
Gonnelli Casa d'aste, Firenze
ITALY, 27 May 2015
---
If I can be of further assistance on this topic in any manner, please just ask--my goal is to provide accurate and prompt information back to you in a professional manner.
Anytime I can help you out on any other topic, just let me know--you can request me by simply putting my name at the beginning of a posted question.
Please take a minute to rate my answer and fill out any surveys the site sends to you as that is how we are evaluated for service and also credited for our time and effort.
Have a blessed day!
With kind regards,
Steve