Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques, Appraiser/ Researcher/ Entrepreneur
Experience:  30+ years in all aspects of the Antiques and Decorative Arts Industry
51883380

I need an appraisal by Friday, May 29 antique live steam

Customer Question

I need an appraisal by Friday, May 29 for an antique live steam train. It is currently on eBay, but I believe the information is inaccurate. Here is the link to the train: http://ebay.to/1POV6Ck
I need to know the manufacturer, make, and model of this train and an approximate value.
Category: Antiques
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The train includes the arched trestle, so please be sure that appraisal reflects that.
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.
Could you please explain why you feel the description is incorrect on the auction lot for this?
~Nora
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Because I have been told that it is.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do you know the make, manufacturer, and model?
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.
At this juncture, I will opt-out here and your question will open again to all the experts. If someone knows the answer they will post a response to you here. You do not need to re-list your question and this does not cost you extra.
I will not be able to respond back after opting-out.
I do hope you find the information that you seek.
Sincerely,
Nora
Expert:  Steven-R replied 1 year ago.
I need a few more specific details to be positive, but from review of what is available I suspect you are correct that the description is in error...trains that early would not have been made to roll on tracks, for one thing--most of these type trains, in my experience, are from the 1950s...is that what you are thinking?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am completely unknowledgeable and inexperienced. That's why I posted this inquiry. I need to know the manufacturer, make, and model, as well as an approximate value, including the arched trestle.
Expert:  Steven-R replied 1 year ago.
I wish I could help further, but again, in all candor, with the rimmed wheels made for tracks I do not feel the train is as old as stated--and many of these were actually sold via the hobby market, some even in kit form, so without an actual maker mark on something it is a shot in the dark as to who actually made it--I could find nothing exactly like it in my antique and vintage train guides, sorry. I can advise you of what they typically sell for and typical asking prices, if that will help--but without considerably more information, I'm afraid that is about as much as anybody could do in this situation--
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please allow another appraiser to take a shot at this.