Steven-R
Steven-R, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  I am a retired Major, US Army, and an antiques and collectibles consultant based on the east coast.
74160645

I have a serving dish that was my grate grandmothers and I'm

Customer Question

I have a serving dish that was my grate grandmothers and I'm trying to get some information about it. It is porcelain, glassed white on the inside and what looks like a wood or walnut pattern on the outside.
There is a logo that is capital I with a C together in side a circle printed on the bottom with "Made in California R-133 USA"
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.
Hi There~
My name is ***** ***** I am here to help with your question.
At your convenience, please send photos of the serving dish itself.
If there is a toolbar with a paperclip icon showing above the box where you type in responses, then follow the steps on this link for sharing photos:
http://ww2.justanswer.com/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert
I look forward to seeing the images. If you are unable to send photos right away, that is fine – there is not a time limit here.
Sincerely,
Nora
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have 1 image already attached to the original question

Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.
Hi Dawn,
Thank you for the images.
I can provide the value and date of this for you, but not a match to the maker mark of the CI or IC in a circle.
-or-
I can opt-out and open your question again to all the experts here.
Please let me know how you would like to proceed.
Sincerely,
Nora
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

How will you determine the value and date if you don't know the maker?

Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.
Hi Dawn,
At this juncture, I will opt-out here and your question will open again to all the experts. If someone knows the answer they will post a response to you here. You do not need to re-list your question and this does not cost you extra.
I will not be able to respond back after opting-out.
I do hope you find the information that you seek.
Sincerely,
Nora
Expert:  Steven-R replied 1 year ago.
Any chips, cracks or major crazing to the surfaces?
Expert:  Steven-R replied 1 year ago.
By the way, the item is late 1930s to mid 1950s and was made and marketed as "California Pottery," which was a real company from around 1873 to the demise in the era of the Great Depression around 1929. The logo stands for "California Independent" which was a group of commercial manufacturers in California who inherited the generic trade name and who manufactured mold-produced items for the retail trade. The pieces are not classified as art ceramics but rather utilitarian wares, and demand peaked in the post-WWII era, fading by the 1960s. The number is ***** pattern code for the shape of the item, not for the decoration or anything else. Many of these smaller companies collaborated with the "Big 5" from California to fulfill trade orders in the furnishings markets, thus only the generic guild stamp on the bottom and not a specific maker name.

The value today isn't great, as many examples were made en masse but if your item is devoid of major damage, the typical retail range is up to around $40. Many similar pieces sell for as little as$10, as with this piece: http://www.shopgoodwill.com/auctions/Mid-Century-California-USA-Pottery-Oval-Bowl-19873711.html

-
Clearly, it has more sentimental value than retail market value--hope you are not too disappointed and that you understand.

If I can be of further assistance on this topic in any manner, please just ask--my goal is to provide accurate and prompt information back to you in a professional manner.

Anytime I can help you out on any other topic, just let me know--you can request me by simply putting my name at the beginning of a posted question.

Please take a minute to rate my answer and fill out any surveys the site sends to you as that is how we are evaluated for service and also credited for our time and effort.

Have a blessed day!

With kind regards,
Steve
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Oh Thank You. I'm not disappointed by the value at all, I really just wanted information on the piece and you provided everything I wanted to know. It has one small chip that was there when it was passed onto me, but other wise in great condition.

Thank you again for the info.

Expert:  Steven-R replied 1 year ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** do understand. You just can't put a monetary value on sentiment and memories, for sure.

Have a blessed day!

With kind regards,
Steve