Steven-R
Steven-R, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  I am a retired Major, US Army, and an antiques and collectibles consultant based on the east coast.
74160645

Just fond in attic a small 12 inches china head doll with

Customer Question

Hi ! Just fond in attic a small 12 inches china head doll with pierced ears and a very elaborate hairs with a giant bun. CanT find any doll on web wich is like these one and sh's very old with probably hand sew superb dress can you help me ?
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Nora replied 2 years ago.
Hi There~
My name is ***** ***** I am here to help with your question.
What is the length or height of the doll?
At your convenience, please send more photos.
If there is a toolbar with a paperclip icon showing above the box where you type in responses, then follow the steps on this link for sharing photos:
http://ww2.justanswer.com/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert
I look forward to seeing the images. If you are unable to send photos right away, that is fine – there is not a time limit here.
Sincerely,
Nora
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi, size is 12 inches. Doll is missing half of right arm and half of the right shoe. I am including more pictures, best regards, Yvan

Expert:  Nora replied 2 years ago.
Hi Yvan,
Thank you for the images.
Please allow me some time to look these over for you.
~Nora
Expert:  Nora replied 2 years ago.
Hello Yvan,
Could you please send a full length of the dress and the broken pieces as well.
At your convenience.
Thank you,
Nora
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Here are picture of all the doll's suits and the naked doll in full. Best regards, Yvan

Expert:  Nora replied 2 years ago.
Hi Yvan,
Perfect - thank you for the images.
~Nora
Expert:  Nora replied 2 years ago.
Hi Yvan~
Thank you for your patience.
You have an antique, 19th century, circa 1870, porcelain molded bust doll with hand painted features of brunette hair and blue eyes with original hand sewn dress of linen calico. These were generally made in Germany and the main companies to produce the most of these were Hertwig or Kestner. In current condition, with intact body and original dress, your doll can sell for a high average of $800 - $1200 on today’s market.
Please note that experts here are not employees of justanswer.com, experts are verified users who are only paid when you leave a favorable rating.
If you are having trouble finding the rating button, please let me know!
Your question will NOT close after you leave rating.
Sincerely,
Nora
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Nora,

Before asking expertise on your site i already read on google all the information you give to me. Of course china are from germany but the time frame can be VERY different depending of the doll's hairstyle, the perced earings (my doll have it) and some painting details.

In fact the oldest china dolls can dates from 1840 or before. There where many doll's makers and i am not a doll expert that's why i was hoping to get very much more precise information on this doll.

Expert:  Nora replied 2 years ago.
Hi Yvan,
Your doll dates to the 1870s and not the 1840's. An 1840's doll would have a different shape of face and all kid-leather body. These types of dolls were made through the early 1900's.
I will opt-out and open your question again to all the experts. Perhaps if someone has more specific information, they will weigh in on here for you. You do not need to re-list your question and this does not cost you extra.
I will not be able to respond back after opting-out.
I do hope you find the information that you seek.
Sincerely,
Nora
Expert:  Steven-R replied 2 years ago.
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am pleased to help, but in all candor Nora is correct with her evaluation in my opinion...the companies she noted often simply made the porcelain parts (head, legs, etc.) and then sold them in bulk to other doll retailers, so it is near impossible to fully document a doll like that from that era--if I can do anything specifically to dig deeper for you, please just let me know!

With kind regards,
Steve