rarewares
rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Antiques dealer for over 10 years specializing in porcelain, glass, art, furniture, coins, watches, pocket watches, and jewelry.
68269273

I have an old decanter of a soldier in dress uniform from the

Customer Question

I have an old decanter of a soldier in dress uniform from the Crimean War I was told. My grandfather got it in Germany. I would like to find a site where I could get more info on it to get an appraisal. Thank you in advance for any help.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  rarewares replied 1 year ago.
Can you add a photo of any marks on the bottom, if any? Also, what does it seem to be made of?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My reply is I can find no markings on the bottom or anyplace else. The head appears to be porcelain hand painted and the body appears to be porcelain with the painted area having a shiny finish.I was told it is a Prussian soldier in dress uniform from the Crimean war.
Expert:  rarewares replied 1 year ago.
You are correct, this is the summer uniform for a Prussian soldier in the 1850's. I asked about the material because I have seen these carved of wood as well.
I would only be able to assume it is a Russian porcelain decanter for Vodka, but cannot find a maker. This would not likely be German made considering the subject matter. I can only go that far and I realize that is not a complete answer.
I will opt-out and allow another expert to finish (no extra cost to you).