Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques, Appraiser/ Researcher/ Entrepreneur
Experience:  30+ years in all aspects of the Antiques and Decorative Arts Industry
51883380

I have what I think is an old etching. I have no history on

Customer Question

I have what I think is an old etching. I have no history on it because I bought about 10 yrs ago. there is a signature in the bottom right that is partially covered that says MONIO or MONIC. Looking to find out about the print/etching and its worth but didnt want to rip the back off to see signature if not needed.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  rarewares replied 1 year ago.
I do see the photo of the signature but I would like one of the art as well. Also let me know if anything is written on the back.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry, thought I had attached both Pictures. I would have to break the back open of the frame. Unfortunately I had this picture rematted professionally when I bought it and they papered the back before putting the hanging wire on. He did question me on the picture and thought that it had a great deal of interest, but never told me about anything on the back nor do have any memory of seeing anything.The frame itself is OLD and very rustic almost manmade looking.If you think I should open the back after looking at the picture I will.
Expert:  rarewares replied 1 year ago.
I will have to opt-out of this one as I can not find a match for the signature. I will allow another expert to step in.
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.
Hi There~
My name is ***** ***** I am here to help with your question.
What is the size?
At your convenience, please send more clear, well-lit photos of the front and the signature at lower corner. You do not need to remove from frame.
When taking a clear close-up try using the macro function on your camera. It looks like a small flower icon. This will allow sharper focus at a closer-range.
If there is a toolbar with a paperclip icon showing on your board, then follow the steps on this link:
http://ww2.justanswer.com/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert
I look forward to seeing the images. If you are unable to send photos right away, that is fine – there is not a time limit here.
Sincerely,
Nora
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Nora
I am unable to get a picture any closer then what I send. Because the glass isn't mat there is a terrible glare. I will see if opening the back is an option without destroying the set matting. i was hoping that this might look familiar to someone in that art field
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.
I do not recommend removing the matting or backing, it really is not necessary.
Try natural light, or turning off the flash - but again, please do not remove the print from the frame.
~Nora
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hope this is better. How can you tell if something is an original etching or a print of an etching?
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the image.
What is the sight size of the print and the size with frame and mat altogether?
~Nora