Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques, Appraiser/ Researcher/ Entrepreneur
Experience:  30+ years in all aspects of the Antiques and Decorative Arts Industry
51883380

I have inherited a variety of antiques from my

Customer Question

Hello! I have inherited a variety of antiques from my grandmother, who was formerly an antique dealer and owned one of the largest antique shops in Illinois during her heyday. I will be holding on to the things I have an emotional connection to, but want to downsize the collection I've received, mostly the primitive wooden and metal kitchen items in my possession. I have anything from spoons and graters to rolling pins and cast iron corn muffin molds. The items in her collection range from more common to more rare. How do I tell the difference, and what is the monetary range these items might go for in the Midwest today? Who should I contact for more specific item-by-item appraisal? Should I sell items individually, as a collection, or at auction?

Category: Antiques
Expert:  Glenda B. replied 2 years ago.
My name is Glenda,
I will be glad to help you today.

There is no way to tell you what these items might go for without knowing what each item is. I can tell you the market is very low for most items like you describe. I can give you some good places to sell from, that will also let you go there and look up particular items you might think are more rare then others, so you know what they are asking for them. I also do not suggest auctions as they sell very low, and you will more or less be giving items away. Depending on what you have you can sell in lots on Ebay, so you are not listing one item at a time. But there are several places to check online to see what items are going for. If you like?