rarewares
rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Antiques dealer for over 10 years specializing in porcelain, glass, art, furniture, coins, watches, sterling silver, pocket watches, and jewelry.
68269273

I have a harbour painting signed by ***** *****key. I can't

Customer Question

I have a harbour painting signed by ***** *****key. I can't tell if it's an original and what it might be worth. I haven't seen it come up for auction and I don't know if there's a catalog of his paintings but it looks like his French harbour paintings.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  rarewares replied 1 year ago.
I would love to help you with this ***** ***** Hankey piece.
Please add a photo (not of the frame) of the piece at a straight on position, one of the back and a picture of the signature.
Please also note the size of the image.
You can add pictures by using the paper clip icon or the ADD FILE button. This feature works best on a desktop computer.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. Will send it tomorrow. Thanks.
Expert:  rarewares replied 1 year ago.
Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I sent the photos you requested but have not received a reply. Did you get the photos? Please advise. Thank you.
Expert:  rarewares replied 1 year ago.
No, I have not. If you want to email photos, you must send to***@******.*** and put 'forCustomerin antiques' in the subject line so that they will forward them to me.
Expert:  rarewares replied 1 year ago.
I just got your photos this afternoon. They have closed this question because of the length of time that there has been no texts back and forth. You could open a new question and put 'forCustomer with the same query about the painting. I am ready to answer!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I didn't see anything in the agreement about timing out. Thank you anyway.
Expert:  rarewares replied 1 year ago.
I will answer anyway, even if I don't get paid for it.
If you see stars at the end, then please click them to rate me. We'll see if this works.
Your painting is authentic when I compare the signature, technique and scene. It is a ***** ***** Hankey (1869-1952) oil painting of the sailboats in the harbor of Concarneau, a bay port in the north west of France. He has a series of paintings of this scene; all slightly different. One known named one is called Drying Sails, Concarneau. That piece sold for 3400 British pounds ($5200.00) in 2011. You painting has a current value of 7,000 to 8500.00 us dollars.