ObjectsConservator1
ObjectsConservator1, Restorer
Experience:  30+ years of conserving and restoring museum and private-owned objects.
75944346

Bisque and kid leather old doll 1900 or befor e leather body

Customer Question

bisque and kid leather old doll 1900 or befor e leather body bisque hands and head open mouth teeth eyes open and close ears
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.
Hi There~
My name is ***** ***** I am here to help with your question.
What is the length of your doll?
Have you checked the back of her neck for any maker marks?
At your convenience, please send more photos. A full image with the design and a clear, in-focus close-up of the mark, if any, would be ideal.
When taking a clear close-up try using the macro function on your camera. It looks like a small flower icon. This will allow sharper focus at a closer-range.
When evaluating an item, photos are essential to helping me come to a correct assessment.
If there is a toolbar with a paperclip icon showing above the box where you type in responses, then follow the steps on this link for sharing photos:
http://ww2.justanswer.com/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert
I look forward to seeing the images. If you are unable to send photos right away, that is fine – there is not a time limit here.
Sincerely,
Nora
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the doll is 19-20 inches long, dimple on chin we do not see any marks on her at all....long red hair (starting to fall-out).
In the family since about 1885......concerned about preservation/cleaning we live in mass near old Sturbridge village. do you have an email I can attach the other pics and send along?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
regarding your question
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the images.
Please allow me some time to look these over for you.
~Nora
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hello...anyone out there? How much longer do you think to get back to us about the question???
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.
Hi There,
I have not found a match to this for you.
I will opt-out here and your question will open again to all the experts. If someone knows the answer they will post a response to you here. You do not need to re-list your question and this does not cost you extra.
I will not be able to respond back after opting-out.
I do hope you find the information that you seek.
Sincerely,
Nora
Expert:  ObjectsConservator1 replied 1 year ago.
I should be able to help you with this. I can certainly help with your preservation and conservation questions on dolls and other historic objects.
Please look for maker's marks on the back of the shoulder area of the head. I would be greatly surprised if there are no marks there. It's probably covered by either the clothes or by the upper part of the body. You might have to gently pull down the top margin of the body to see the marks. They would be impressed into the bisque paste before firing.
Once you find those, please take well-focused pictures and post them and I'll be able to do more research on the doll.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
we are just back...we will check for a mark but so far have not found on anywhere on the bisque portion
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
just found along the base of the dolls head in back, the words "made in Germany". I do not want to remove anymore of the leather as it is all pretty fragile. I have included a number of photos...is there anywhere around Sturbridge Mass (Old Sturbridge Village) that may be a good place to get help preserving the doll?Thanks!
Thank you for the additional photos. I agree with you that your best course for preservation and identification is to work with a professional conservator. The doll looks to me to be in overall excellent condition- you did a good job of preserving it- given the age and past use, and compared to many other dolls of this period that I've seen.
I just did a search for objects conservators specializing in dolls using the 01566 zip code and there are seven, several of whom I am familiar with. You can go to this link to see the results:
http://www.conservation-us.org/membership/find-a-conservator/results/
If you have problems with the link or want to do your own search, go to www.conservation-us.org and click on "Find a Conservator". The system is free to use and has a lot of good information on conservation and how to work with a conservator. The referral system is only open to Professional Associates and Fellows of the AIC (AIC does not have certification, but those membership categories are peer reviewed and vetted). I'm sure that the conservators in your area can also give you referrals to non-conservator 'doll hospitals' and restorers, if you decide to go that route.
I hope that information has been helpful, even though I could not give you an identification. That's the limitation of doing this type of work on-line only with fragile objects. Please let me know if I can be of further assistance with your conservation/preservation questions.