Steven-R
Steven-R, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  I am a retired Major, US Army, and an antiques and collectibles consultant based on the east coast.
74160645

I am wanting to discover the value of items I inherited. I

Customer Question

Hello I am wanting to discover the value of items I inherited.
I have couple pieces of Ivory a painting called the "Land of Plenty" in the lower left corner there's stamp TMCo. 161.
I also have some stamps that may be of some value. I can furnish pictures if needed.
Sincerely
Janis I. Smith
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Steven-R replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am pleased to help. Your art, unfortunately, is a decor grade item sold to the furnishings and decoration trade in the 20th century--the marking is likely Thomas Manufacturing Company, who issued THOUSANDS in the mid-1940s until the 1960s era. Sadly, the retail is only from $20-40 today.
I will gladly help you with your ivory pieces, but need to see images, please.
If I can be of further assistance on this topic in any manner, please just ask--my goal is to provide accurate and prompt information back to you in a professional manner.
Anytime I can help you out on any other topic, just let me know--you can request me by simply putting my name at the beginning of a posted question.
Please take a minute to rate my answer and fill out any surveys the site sends to you as that is how we are evaluated for service and also credited for our time and effort.
Have a blessed day!
With kind regards,
Steve
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Here are some pictures of the Ivory pieces.
Thank you
Expert:  Steven-R replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the update. The first item is called a Japanese bone dagger and dates from the 1930s until the 1960s--they are basically souvenir knives often found brought home by US GI's following WWII, but many came back as late as post-VietNam. Most retail around $75 to $125. It is not ivory, sorry--most are bleached ox bone.
The second is called a carved bridge, a common decorator item again from Japan. While having incredible detail, these are relatively common forms (and bear in mind the average wages for craftsmen in that region in the early to mid 20th century was less than $10 a week in US dollars)and mainly created for souvenir and export sales. Again, not ivory but most probably either bleached ox bone or even a synthetic resin made with ground stone and bone made to simulate ivory. These tend to sell in about the same basic range, just a touch higher, pending demand--$85-140.
Have a blessed day!
With kind regards,
Steve
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you so very much. You've saved me a lot of time.
I appreciate your time and expertise.
Expert:  Steven-R replied 1 year ago.
You are most welcome, and have a great weekend!