Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques, Appraiser/ Researcher/ Entrepreneur
Experience:  30+ years in all aspects of the Antiques and Decorative Arts Industry
51883380

I have a hand painted Rex Brasher bird print. On the bottom

Customer Question

I have a hand painted Rex Brasher bird print. On the bottom left is the number 507. On the bottom right is hand-printed .Rex Brasher.; under that is hand-drawn :RB: under that is the number .5.18.12. Rex Brasher's signature is under that. What does the 507 represent?
The number .5.18.12. ? Thyank you for your help. John Downes
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Robert S. replied 1 year ago.
Hi John.My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to help with your Rex Brasher print.The numbers on the bottom left of Rex Brasher's watercolors are the individual plate numbers of his book "Birds and Trees of North America" published 1930 - 1932.Each plate depicts at least one different species of bird, a colossal work of art and science that records in color and line every one of the over 1200 native species and subspecies of North American bird, the plumage differences of each gender & juveniles, including typical behavior in their native habitat, together with botanical illustrations of 383 species of trees. It was issued in 12 volumes and a total of 867 lithographs, each one of which he personally hand colored with air brushes, stencils and hand painting.No other artist has even come close to equaling this astonishing achievement in bird illustration.The small numbers under the RB monogram are the date the original was painted, in this case the 18th May 1912. If you would like me to put a value on your print, I would be happy to. Just attach a photo of it (click on the paperclip icon).Many thanks and wait to hear.Robert