rarewares
rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Antiques dealer for over 10 years specializing in porcelain, glass, art, furniture, coins, watches, pocket watches, and jewelry.
68269273

I have a set Haviland China that my grandmother received when

Customer Question

I have a set Haviland China that my grandmother received when she got married. The name on the plates is limoges, I have approximately 12 place settings, a large serving platter, a small platter, two sering bowls, and a gravey boat.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  rarewares replied 1 year ago.
I would love to help. I will need a photo of one piece and a picture of the marks on the back. This will help date the set. You can add pictures (desktop computer works best) by using the paper clip icon in the box where you type back to me.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Here are some photos
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you!
Expert:  rarewares replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the pictures. Your Limoges china is Haviland Limoges, with the green and red marks helping to date the set to 1894-1931. Your grandmother's wedding date will pinpoint that more exactly within that timeline. The pattern is Cordelia, a creamy porcelain with two gold encrusted borders. The values are as follows;
12 dinner plates 360.00
12 bread/salad plates 240.00
12 soup bowls 240.00
1 large platter 75.00
2 small platters 60.00
2 serving bowls 70.00
Sauce/Gravy Boat 55.00
This gives a total of 1100.00 for your set.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My grandmother was married in 1916. How would I go about selling this China
Expert:  rarewares replied 1 year ago.
My best suggestion would be to consign it to an auction house in your area that also has an online presence (more bidders that way) on liveauctioneers.com or invaluable.com. This would get you the best price for your set. An antique dealer or shop would only offer you 300.00 for the whole set in hopes of selling each piece individually on Ebay, Ruby Lane or Etsy. You do have the option of selling the set that way yourself as well, but most people don't have the time for that.