Steven-R
Steven-R, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  I am a retired Major, US Army, and an antiques and collectibles consultant based on the east coast.
74160645

I have Pendelphin bunnies dating back to 1968. I live in Alberta,

Customer Question

I have Pendelphin bunnies dating back to 1968. I live in Alberta, Canada, a dry, cold climate. What type of paper do I wrap them in or how do I store them to preserve the glaze and stoneware. They were wrapped in "computer printing paper" for over 20 years. When I unwrapped them, on some of them a bit of the glaze came off where the paper touched, an example "the top of an ear".
Category: Antiques
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Where can I purchase what you recommend without paying an arm & a leg for shipping?
Expert:  Steven-R replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am pleased to help, and so sorry the paper caused a problem, but it is a common one as modern paper is made with an acid pulp process than can degrade some finishes over time. You should gently wash them in a low dilution of a solvent detergent (like "Dawn", for example) and rinse them thoroughly to remove any residuals. Once dry, they can be wrapped in acid free paper (you can buy it here: http://www.amazon.com/LINECO-Unbuffered-Acid-Free-Tissue-Paper/dp/B000KNPLLU/ref=sr_1_1/176-2925958-9473134?ie=UTF8&qid=1432138143&sr=8-1&keywords=acid+free+paper+archival
and the problem will never happen again!
Likewise, the original packing paper should be discarded as it was mainly for padding during transit, not for long term storage. Once wrapped, store them in a plastic bin to prevent too much air migration and you should be fine!
If I can be of further assistance on this topic in any manner, please just ask--my goal is to provide accurate and prompt information back to you in a professional manner.
Anytime I can help you out on any other topic, just let me know--you can request me by simply putting my name at the beginning of a posted question.
Please take a minute to rate my answer and fill out any surveys the site sends to you as that is how we are evaluated for service and also credited for our time and effort.
Have a blessed day!
With kind regards,
Steve