Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques, Appraiser/ Researcher/ Entrepreneur
Experience:  30+ years in all aspects of the Antiques and Decorative Arts Industry
51883380

I have a John Wiiddicomb chest w/mirror '

Customer Question

I have a John Wiiddicomb chest w/mirror circa early 1970's. It black laquer with gold trim & raised figures on the drawers' sides of chest & mirror
Category: Antiques
Expert:  AppraiserJM replied 1 year ago.
Hi, my apologies for the delay. I wasn't working over Sunday.

The pattern on the side, is this inlaid wood, or painted/lacquered? From the photo, it appears to be a painted design, but I want to be sure before proceeding.

Also, where is the Widdicomb mark/label located? Exactly what does it say?

Thanks.

Jennifer
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Jennifer, the Widdicomb mark says: "John Widdicomb, maker of fine furniture, Grand Rapids, Michigan" in sort of gold antique ink. It is located in the top drawer, left side. The pattern on the sides & drawers are partially painted but some of it feels raised. I think it is painted & lacquered.

Thanks Jamie Hart

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Jennifer sorry about the multiple pics not so tech savvy! attached is another picture with mirror

Thanks Jamie Hartchest/mirror

My apologies for the delay, today isn't a day that I'm really scheduled to work at JustAnswer. However, I am going to handle this question and I'll be back to you within an hour.

Jennifer
This is a very unusual piece! It's a French Louis XV style floral painted two-drawer bombe commode and mirror, probably circa 1960.

A dealer at retail would likely offer this set in the range of $3000-$4500, depending on the local market and economy.

Unfortunately resale at auction for this type of furniture is very low, perhaps $600-$1000.

Please let me know if you have additional questions.

Sincerely,

Jennifer