Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques, Appraiser/ Researcher/ Entrepreneur
Experience:  30+ years in all aspects of the Antiques and Decorative Arts Industry
51883380

I purchase two chess sets that are said to be carved bone with Chinese

Customer Question

I purchase two chess sets that are said to be carved bone with Chinese marking on bottom and 2 Chinese Peking glass pieces, vase and bowl, with green overlay from estate sale. Wondering if they have any value.

Vase is 6 1/2" tall and actually says "China" on the bottom. Bowl is 6 1/8" in diameter and 2 1/2" tall with no maker markings.

King of chess set is 4 1/2" tall and they all appear to be painted. I Chinese symbols on the bottom may NOT be modern - I checking with my son's father-in-law and on one piece he could read "Moon" but does not know older symbols (he is Chinese). I can't tell if these are bone and since they are painted can't see bone characteristic except beards are NOT painted.

Category: Antiques
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.
Hi There~
My name is ***** ***** I am here to help with your question.
At your convenience, please send photos clear, in-focus close-up of the mark and the surface of a few pieces and the box they came in.
When taking a clear close-up try using the macro function on your camera. It looks like a small flower icon. This will allow sharper focus at a closer-range.
If there is a toolbar with a paperclip icon showing above the box where you type in responses, then follow the steps on this link for sharing photos:
http://ww2.justanswer.com/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert
I look forward to seeing the images. If you are unable to send photos right away, that is fine – there is not a time limit here.
Sincerely,
Nora
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

bottom of piece with symbols

Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.
Hi Paulette,
Thank you for the images.
Please allow me some time to look these over for you.
~Nora
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.
Thank you
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.
Hi Paulette,
Have you tried a pin test on these pieces?
~Nora
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes, they are not plastic or ivory but I couldn't tell if they were bone or resin. The hot pin did go in slightly when pressure was applied. I am attaching a close up of the beard of one piece that does not look painted. Also, I thought if someone could read the symbols on the bottom that might help. I don't think these are old, maybe 60's or 70's because of the red silk box and the plastic bands that are holding the pieces - similar to hair bands of that time period.

Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.
Hi Paulette,
I can provide an estimate of value based on comparables, however I am not able to translate the characters written on the underside.
Please let me know if you would like me to continue, or I can opt-out and open your question again to all the experts. Opting-out, however, is not a guarantee that another person will provide an answer.
~Nora
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I think I will just stop the process and get my money back. Please be assured that I will not rate you or the service poorly and thanks for trying. Can you end the process on your end, or do I need to call Just Answer directly? X

Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.
Hi Paulette,
I will send your request to admin on your behalf, and I recommend you contact them from your end as well.
Please note that experts here are not employees of justanswer.com, experts are verified users who are only paid when you leave a favorable rating. Experts do not handle charges, fees, credit cards, memberships or subscriptions in any way or form.
I will not be able to respond back after sending in your request.
I do hope you find the information that you seek.
Sincerely,
Nora