Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques, Appraiser/ Researcher/ Entrepreneur
Experience:  30+ years in all aspects of the Antiques and Decorative Arts Industry
51883380

I have a large oil painting that belonged to my grandmother

Customer Question

I have a large oil painting that belonged to my grandmother of black canyon before boulder dam (Hoover) was built. I can send a photo A small amount of damage to the frame.
Barb
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Steven-R replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am pleased to help. You have an interesting artwork, but it appears to have been done most likely by an amateur rather than a professional artist--I do not see a name or signature, is there one? I can assist you with value, but need to know the dimensions and need to see an image of the back--and advise if it is on canvas or board (panel).
With kind regards,
Steve
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The back is covered with paper, cannot find a signature on the front, 32 1/2" x 44 1/2" on canvas. Frame looks to be made of plaster?
Expert:  Steven-R replied 1 year ago.
Thanks...unfortunately I can't tell you a great deal other than the likely value, if unsigned...the frame is likely gesso over wood, a common practice in the late 1890s to 1930s era...the back was likely covered to be a dust protector. Can you gently push on the front and tell if it gives (canvas vs. panel)?